LE 3.0 for 3.1 Pre-orders?

Cassyblanca

I recently pre-ordered Leadwerks 3.1 in anticipation for the release on Jan 6, but hadn't realized that it was only the dumbed-down Steam version that was coming on that date. Is there a way that I can get access, having pre-ordered Leadwerks 3.1, to Leadwerks 3.0 until the release of 3.1?

19CAB.png

The only difference is that it runs the lua version. The supported API is exactly the same. The editor is the same. Via supported features you can do everything the same. With the decision to allow dll's to be loaded from lua you have all the same power. It is not the dumbed down version by any means.

I didn't mean to refer to it as a dumbed-down system in that way, and I apologize that it came across as such. My primary interest in the engine, however, lies in the use of C++ in the development of much of my game logic - so for my desires from the engine, it is dumbed-down in the sense that a feature I desire is missing. I understand the power of Lua, and I'm happy that the Lua scripting support in Leadwerks is as extensive as it is - but that is not what I was looking for. In all honestly, knowing that I would have to wait past the sixth would not have changed my decision to purchase the engine - I just feel that it would be nice to have access to Leadwerks 3.0 to better familiarize myself with the engine while I await the version I pre-ordered.

19CAB.png

Thank you, bandrewk! That it's exactly what I was looking for, but all I seemed to find was stiff for LE2.3. Assuming 3.1 is out within the month, this will be more than enough until the release.

Please note that this trial version is almost a year old and does not contain bug fixes and new features like terrain creation.

I just feel that it would be nice to have access to Leadwerks 3.0 to better familiarize myself with the engine while I await the version I pre-ordered.

Yeah the trial will work, but note that the API is about 95% identical between Lua and C++ (the 5% is just language features that change it some) so if you knew Lua you'd get great practice as well. Personally, I don't think you'll like the 3.0 trial once you get your hands on the amazing dynamic lighting and bug fixed 3.1 smile.png. Some shader setup is different in 3.1 than it is in 3.0 so using Lua for a couple weeks in 3.1 would probably benefit you more than using C++ in 3.0, pending that you know both Lua and C++ already anyway.

Finally able to look at how it's handled in practice (looking at the sample project), I can see how true that is. While I would still prefer to write my core game logic in C++, the state of the Lua engine does seem to be similar enough that it will make little difference (after all, I don't plan to do anything performance-critical until I have the full 3.1 build) in the short-term once the sixth rolls around. Still, it is nice to have something around to work with until that point - 3.1 pre-orders seem to have no opportunity to access anything at all before that point.

19CAB.png

This post is puzzling me. When can we get the upgrade to 3.1 that includes using the c++ language for development for windows and how will we know which one to order.?

I I have completely misunderstood things I apologise.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

As I understand it:

If you pre-ordered or were a backer then you get both the Steam version (Lua only) and the non Steam version (Lua & C++). However, the Steam version will be released first (Jan 6th or something like that) followed by the non Steam version at a later date not yet specified. I think Josh wants to be able to focus on the Steam rollout (since it's something new to him) and make sure that goes well before releasing the non Steam version.

I don't have a clue what steam is, but I guess that's my fault for not paying attention. I usualy operate on a need to know basis and that sometimes causes me to miss out on stuff.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

Steam is an online marketplace to buy video games. Instead of buying disks more people are just buying the game on Steam and then downloading it to their PC. Steam manages all of that for you. It keeps a list of games you "own" and you can download and delete any time you want. It's probably the most popular way to get PC games these days. It recently allowed other software (non games) to be available through it also. Hence, Josh making LE available through it.;

Any idea if the Steam version will be available from Leadwerks as I have never managed to get Steam to work...

Robin

Programmer , Intel Quad core, NVIDIA GeForce GT 220, Windows 7 Pro, Galaxy Tab 2 ( 7" and 10"), LE2,LE3,3DWS

Any idea if the Steam version will be available from Leadwerks as I have never managed to get Steam to work...

Robin

err.. then why would you want it?

The point of the steam version is that it's integrated with steam workshop and what not isn't it?

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

@ESP I'm pretty sure you could make a Lua game in normal 3.1 (when it comes out) and it will run on the Steam version. However if you can't get Steam to work you wouldn't be able to use any Steam specific stuff, but I don't think every game really needs to do that. You'd probably just have to find someone who could submit your game to the Leadwerks Steam workshop. Or course ideally you would be able to test your game to make sure everything works the same on the Steam version but I think it should work on both.

I have no interest in creating or downloading a game at the moment. The .app I am creating is almost all Lua, so it would be nice to get that version.

I'll try to install Steam again this afternoon but this will be about the 10th time I've tried.

Robin

Programmer , Intel Quad core, NVIDIA GeForce GT 220, Windows 7 Pro, Galaxy Tab 2 ( 7" and 10"), LE2,LE3,3DWS

Well I am amazed. Steam installed. I guess Windows 7 was a good upgrade after all smile.png

It NEVER worked on XP....

3.1 upgrade just purchased :)

Robin

• Upvote 1