Holy Crap... there is no undo button in the editor?

Gandi

As the title says.

I know that implementing an undo function is a lot more work than you would expect, since you have to cache all data that you cannot reconstruct from the changed values, but seriously - a missing undo function in a realtime editor is IMHO rather a bug than a missing feature :)

Adding a datetime string to the filename would be more effective. Then you can have infinite undo/redo steps without using any memory (except harddisk space).

There could be a button and/or key combo to "Save as datetime version", so you could just repeatedly hit that button whenever you got a good snapshot in your design phase.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Wouldn't it just be easier to implement a simple one level undo function taking the onus off the designer to actually save repeatedly. Seems to work for most other software vendors so it must have something going for it :)

It's just that added bit of protection for when you go ' oh **** ' I really didn't want to do that :D

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Adding a datetime string to the filename would be more effective. Then you can have infinite undo/redo steps without using any memory (except harddisk space).

There could be a button and/or key combo to "Save as datetime version", so you could just repeatedly hit that button whenever you got a good snapshot in your design phase.

Are you sure you aren't clinically insane? j/k, it's just you say the darndest things sometimes.

I think most everyone would rather use a little bit of memory than cluttering their hard drive up with all these sbx files. Which is why it's done the way it is.

A in-memory undo would not prevent you from losing ours of work when your PC or Editor crashes.

An autosave would be needed in addition to that, but autosaves don't know when you have a good version to save, so they will save unneccessary versions also.

Autosave would also not save the latest version before the crash, so you might lose some work anyway.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

A lot of other Apps save just every X minutes. Thats what autosave is about. You can do it yourself. But I forgot always to save my work hehe.

In memory undo sounds like a good way. If a PC crashes other work is gone too. I never have only on program launched at a time.

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

You can't beat ctrl-z undo, a couple of levels (even 1 level!) would be fine for most. This reminds me of the days we didnt have scale in the editor...

There's no fighting the need for undo! It's just an unavoidable feature to have in any editor.

Desktop:

Intel 2600K - Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 - 16GB G.Skill Sniper - EVGA 580 gtx - Raid0 OCZ Vertex 3 SSD - Win7 64bit.

I know an undo function can be hard to program. On the other hand, it's a real pain not having any kind of undo.

My vote would be to have the editor save a version of the sbx every time you switch tools/functions (e.g. switch flatten terrain tool to vegetation tool). Pressing the undo button (or ctrl+z) should then revert to the last save before switching tools. This should be fairly easy to implement.

desktop: Quad core Q6600 + 4GB + ATI HD4890 + XP

laptop: Dual core T6400 + 4 GB + NVidia 9600M GT + Vista 32

I can remember quite a few times when i press ctrl Z and get instantly reminded that... there isnt one! :lol:

Would be nice, even just a few levels back, if not one. I would say majority of the time one level up is the most used anything more is a bonus! But if you use them after halfway threw your level when you decide it looked better 100 objects ago, then i think that should be down to your own indivual saves.

So, just 1 or 2 i think is required, any more is great!

Cheers

Andy

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.

Leadwerks Game-Ready 3D Models:https://sellfy.com/gib3d

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, the undo feature is definitely needed. As other have said, one or two levels is perfectly okay. Also, the autosave should not override your current SBX, but save in addition to it. The autosave is a backup, and the user should have free reign on when to save their own files.

Too bad it's not .Net otherwise I'd recommend using reflection and just calling the reverse commands to the app itself. It would also make it easy to store the collection into a file by catching any unhandled exception at the application level in case of a crash. How would you do the same in c++?

I just hope that no one ever writes an IDE that saves hundreds of files to my hard drive just for the purpose of undo. May the Programming Gods smite thee for saying such blasphemy.

• 5 months later...

I have not used the editor much, but of the times I have, I have made quite a few mistakes still getting used to how to use it and having the ability to undo those mistakes would be a big time saver. I am guessing(hoping) the more I use the editor the less I will desire the feature, but just starting out, not having that functionality is quite a pain.

• 2 weeks later...

Its not so much about making mistakes, but more about having a smooth work flow. I like to paint and model my own terrains, you only have to touch your terrain with a wrong setting and you have a bloody mess.

My first Adobe purchase was Photoshop 2.0, CS6 was my last! < = >

Could we have a simple YES/NO answer on this one, why should people have to keep bumping the thread! This was initially requested over 6 months ago and seems to be a quite reasonable request. If requests are simply ignored where's the incentive for people to keep using the mechanism.

• Upvote 2

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++