Gameplay Tutorial Requests Here

Rick

We have a lot of new people joining the Leadwerks community and I feel like it would be nice to hear from them about some tutorials they would like to see. Although we can't write games for anyone, some of us can help show people how some common gameplay features are done to inspire you to dig deeper and help the new people learn the API.

I would like anyone to reply here with a detailed list of tutorials they would like. I'm not saying they would all get done, but some of the people who have used this engine for awhile now might be willing to make tutorials and help out. It'll be good for the entire community to have a list.

I'll try to compile the list over time and update this post with line items that over time we can cross off and give tutorial links for people. I'll start with the first tutorial I did that was requested.

Aggor, I know you are around here somewhere. Can you point me to all your tutorials and I'll link them here. I feel like the more places we have these things the more likely they will get seen. I know these forums don't really get sticky'd ever but it helps. I know we have Steam guides, which we can link to here, but not every version of LE is on Steam so there will be people coming here to look for tutorials and not Steam.

• Upvote 17

Good idea. I added a few that I thought were more gameplay related. In this thread I'd like to try and focus on more gameplay related tutorials. Using physics is a good tutorial, but it's not really anything gameplay related. So what are some common gameplay related things that exist in todays games that people might want to know how we could do them in Leadwerks?

Well, here are a few suggestions for future tutorials, which i think are important for (almost) every game you'd create.

- The first one (maybe not really related to 'gameplay'), would be GUI/HUD integration. Pretty much every game needs a HUD or GUI, and i haven't seen any tutorials on that yet. What about a tutorial that explains the basics of setting up a HUD/GUI which then people can expand upon? Also, if possible, both in C++, as in LUA. I would prefer LUA myself, but i'm sure others prefer C++ instead. wink.png

- What about tutorials or templates for specific gameplay? Such as a basic template for platformers/sidescrollers, space shooters, top down strategy games, etc...? The templates/tutorials could be used as basic start projects, but would also be usefull to gain some knowledge on how to set things up. smile.png

- Another suggestion: scripts (LUA and/or C++) for spawning (enemy or player), bullet/weapon impact (particle creation, sound playing, etc...on impact), basic A.I., etc...

Basically, any script/tutorial that can help in game(play) creation would be very usefull. They would help getting newbie game developers started, while seasoned developers could learn a few tricks here and there, and it would help to get more games created with Leadwerks, which would then in return be good for the engine/community. smile.png

Cheers

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3

Added a few more. I want to stay away from the mini-games. Those tutorials could take a long time to follow/watch. I more want to make quicker tutorials that show various pieces of how one could do gameplay. There will be many different ways to do the things listed here though.

• Upvote 1

Even before I read your post I was going to suggest making these quick and to the point. Thorough tutorials are fine but I personally find things like the code examples and snippets incredibly valuable in large part because they're to the point and there isn't any fluff or unnecessary code to wade through and try to figure out. Tutorials shouldn't show off or be complex. The more time someone needs to devote to figuring out what's going on, the higher the chance that they'll abandon the tutorial in frustration. If the video needs to be longer, break it into sections. Achieve the basics then build on them in layers. Just my thoughts but my patience and attention levels are also rather low.

• Upvote 3

I just bought the Indie Edition yesterday on Steam and I would like to see some tutorials like:

- how to implement own shaders

- how to use Physics/Collision

- how to implement own interfaces

- a way to implement A* pathalgorithm

- how to yous floweditor and how to create input/output functions

It doesn´t work... why? mhmmm It works... why?

Because Leadwerks versions aren't all Steam related. This indie version is, but the other versions will be coming out soon and as far as I'm aware they aren't all going to be Steam related and all of these tutorials will work on those versions also. I love the indie Steam version, but I don't like that it splits where people go for Leadwerks related information. My personal preference is that this site still remains the main place for forums, tutorials, assets, but we'll see what happens.

Also, last time I checked, yesterday, I couldn't make videos there smile.png

• Upvote 1

So I took a slightly different approach than you. I actually check for the entity type and have the scrip attached to the jump pad itself.

Script.x = 0 --int "X"
Script.y = 0 --int "Y"
Script.z = 0 --int "Z"
function Script:Start()
self.enabled=true
end
function Script:Collision(entity, position, normal, speed)
if self.enabled then
 self.component:CallOutputs("Collision")
 if entity.script.entityType == "Player" then
  entity:AddForce(self.x, self.y, self.z)
 end
end
end

So I took a slightly different approach than you. I actually check for the entity type and have the scrip attached to the jump pad itself.

Script.x = 0 --int "X"
Script.y = 0 --int "Y"
Script.z = 0 --int "Z"
function Script:Start()
self.enabled=true
end
function Script:Collision(entity, position, normal, speed)
if self.enabled then
self.component:CallOutputs("Collision")
if entity.script.entityType == "Player" then
entity:AddForce(self.x, self.y, self.z)
end
end
end

Yeah thats a great way of doing it to. It just depends how you want to set it up on the player or jumppad side. I would choose player side for small games and for larger games i would use the jumppad side. There's not really a difference it really just your own personal preference.