Gameplay Tutorial Requests Here

Rick

You so stole that from Portal 2. wink.png

I so stole that from Star Trek. lol

Also, one thing I'd really like to see is how to let the player drag with the mouse to place objects. Rather than a fps game, I'd like to make a top down Tower Defense style game, and the user would get to drag towers into spots.

I'm sure I'll have a million questions in my quest to master the Leadwerks Engine. Thank you for your patience.

How about these tutorials?

1. Assuming we're following the player with a third person camera, how about how to make the player have flight, Superman style?

2. How about breaking/shattering glass, to the point of being able to walk through the brush where it just was?

3. How about using different sound effects for different floor textures? Walking on concrete sounds different than walking on snow.

4. How about climbing up and down a ladder?

5. How about how to use images or a fancier hud? The only reason I have one at all is because this guy posted one.

6. How about showing you health in your hud like a progress bar instead of a number?

7. How about a shield bar like a health bar that regenerates? (Think Borderlands.)

8. How about rain or snow?

9. How about an example of a melee weapon like a sword or pointed stick?

10. How about an example of finding and picking up a new weapon?

11. How about an example of a truly working light switch that turns a light on and off?

12. How about an example of a neon light, which might just be a shader?

13. How about an example of an automatic camera movement sequence, like pausing the player in place, making the camera move ahead, flying through buildings and alleys to show them whats ahead, and then come back and give focus back to the player again?

14. How about several examples of particle effects, like explosions, fire, fog, smoke, electrical (or magical) sparks,

That's all I can think of right now. (As if that's not enough.) happy.png

I'm sure I'll have a million questions in my quest to master the Leadwerks Engine. Thank you for your patience.

Added some of these to the front page.

What do you mean by a truly working light switch?

Light is on, light is off. I've messed around with some script, but I was trying to have a PushButton lua call a pivot which contained some custom code I wrote to turn the light off and it wasn't working... bah.

I'm just starting out a simple 2.5 D project I had in prelim mode with Unity and would love to really start slow...

- Need help with moving a character using WASD or gamepad, with ability to jump and run (not animation focused at this time, just simple movements, think a cube)

- Numbers 5,6,7,10 from MisterGravity's list for sure

I agree with standard games points :

How about using different sound effects for different floor textures?

Walking on concrete sounds different than walking on snow.Use different level mesh : snow_mesh, rock_mesh, than detect if the player collides with snow ro rock mesh. Some engines uses raycast agains texture on floor and detect what texture on terrain is the mode visible to play adequate sound

How about breaking/shattering glass, to the point of being able to walk through the brush where it just was?

Have a Glass door model with simple cube shape collision , If player shoot at door (raycast) , make the door not collidable and play some "breaking" animation of the door (and play some short glass breaking particle effect) .

How about climbing up and down a ladder?

When character collides with and invisible box around ladder or if near ladder enought, if action button pressed, just rotate and place player on center of ladder or some child pivot of ladder, when keys up and down, move up or down.

When up max or down max of ladder just play the engage or disengage ladder animation.

How about showing you health in your hud like a progress bar instead of a number?

Use old darkness demo (beware it is a bug for lightening of HUD image)

How about a shield bar like a health bar that regenerates? (Think Borderlands.)

Use old darkness demo , and manage yourself image shield to stretch on X axis, width = 0 for for empty shield

and with = 500 for full shield.

How about rain or snow ?

Just attach a Particle object as child object of camera object , and have it always playing in front of camera.

Rain or snow is just different gravity for particles, snow falling slowly with random curves, and different sprites or sprite effects.

How about an example of a melee weapon like a sword or pointed stick?

Raycast from weapon stick begin to stick end to see if raycast collides with NPC cylinder collision.

How about an example of finding and picking up a new weapon?

This is more 3D art related than coding, caus like games do , you switch weapons attached to player hands : gun weapon changing to bigger two hands weapon, different animations for handling and using different weapons.

How about an example of a neon light, which might just be a shader?

Yes Diffuse/Glow shader would be great.

-----------

What would be great :

- Double jump code

- Grenade math code (ideal would be a smi visible box where it should land)

- Dialog and windows text system

- Small Inventory system and items pick up in 3D view

- Marchant or game shop system (exhange between player and marchant inventory)

- Skill tree system (unlcok skills using skill points)

- Turning camera system (using math cone of vision to detect player)

- Swimming / diving on water system (raycast when ray between 5 and - 200 collides with water plane)

- Flying rocket system for character (pressing a key the character have some back rocket makeing him fly)

• Upvote 1

Stop toying and make games

It's LE 3.0 demo . It should work with 3.1 and perhaps could be put in Asset store for new comers to download it.

-------------

Other code request :

-Lua save / load game file system (player items, player customisation like skin , objects etc ... )

- trail effect

Light is on, light is off. I've messed around with some script, but I was trying to have a PushButton lua call a pivot which contained some custom code I wrote to turn the light off and it wasn't working... bah.

its supereasy just use PushButtonscript and create a new one with a flowgraph function like

Script:Toggle() --in

if self.entity:Hidden() then
self.entity:Show
else
self.entity:Hide()
end

and use this script with a light.

I really prefer more advanced tutorials

It doesn´t work... why? mhmmm It works... why?

Some missing LE3 scripts :

Darkness TPS script was not natural enought using four keys for direction, but good for Bomberman style or same puzzle style games ;)

- TPS camera script : script attached to a camera

A simple script to attach to a camera like in "darkness" old demo, that follows player and that rotates as player rotates (a simple code without obstacle raycast system)

- TPS character script : (Attach script to player)

Allow to rotate player as you rotate the mouse , left/right keys si strafing, up/down keys to walk forward or backward

- TPS MMo/RPG camera script : Like previous +

* Left mouse button pressed becomes free camera look, if you have character walking it will follow your camera direction

* Release left mouse button , and pressing forward or backward to make character walk, the the character will go and follow the new mouse direction

-Windows : Xbox 360 Joystick character control

This is reminder notes, i'll see if i succeed makign something ( maths are not my cup of tea ).

Save agme, i would recomend save checkpoint to really make it super easy.

About menus, a real GUI system is missiing in LE3 a lot, but there is some stuff and tutorial made by Agrorr :

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/files/file/456-flowgui-free/

You can begin by that or learn form it.

For menu you can choose the old simple way :

3D Cubes with text or 3D text with box collision, when mouse position and raycast hit a cube you just change it's color and launch the item menu (save.,load,new game ...) if player right click on mouse.