Any suggestions/tips towards my LUA learning path?

Patrick

OK, sorry that this is not really a specific programming with the Leadwerks engine question, but more towards the language in general.

I haven't got the engine yet but I will get it once I am able to, but I want to start learning some LUA before I purchase the engine so that I am able to jump in and start using it and learning how to use LUA with the engine.

So my question is, how might you guys (and gals?) recommend me going about learning LUA, do you know of any good books I can pickup or free websites that I could use, also keeping in mind that I fully intend on using Leadwerks with LUA as soon as I can...

I'm going to be off Googling some stuff on my own anyway but I'd appreciate your opinion's and thoughts or advice towards this!

Kind Regards

Patrick

Do you have any previous programming experience? If so Lua is dead easy. You'll be working with the API provided by the engine for the most part so once you are comfortable with the syntax it's all a matter of general programming knowledge and good usage of the programming documents here.

When I'm stuck on how to do things on Lua I just refer to the language reference on lua.org. I have a very strong C# background though.

Anyway don't waste any money on Lua books would be my advice. Best (and only imo) way to learn a programming language is to develop something in it. Pick a very easy project for learning how stuff's done in the engine and stick with it until it's complete. Ask question here in the forum when you are really stuck after checking the documentation and lua.org language reference.

• Upvote 1

Do you have any previous programming experience? If so Lua is dead easy. You'll be working with the API provided by the engine for the most part so once you are comfortable with the syntax it's all a matter of general programming knowledge and good usage of the programming documents here.

When I'm stuck on how to do things on Lua I just refer to the language reference on lua.org. I have a very strong C# background though.

Anyway don't waste any money on Lua books would be my advice. Best (and only imo) way to learn a programming language is to develop something in it. Pick a very easy project for learning how stuff's done in the engine and stick with it until it's complete. Ask question here in the forum when you are really stuck after checking the documentation and lua.org language reference.

Thanks for the reply...

I have a little programming experience but nothing that I would use to call myself a programmer by any means, I mostly code things in Python and Mel. Mel is Autodesk Maya's language and I use that to write small plugins to help me with my work. Other than that I covered some Javascript a while back and I am able to pick up on things although sometimes it may take a little while, I just usually try with the trial and error method and looking around for how to's when it comes to game related programming though.

The main reason I asked for books or something was because I won't be able to get the engine for a little while, so covering some LUA that I could use to get used to the language beforehand would probably help quite a bit. I did a little LUA coding around three years back when someone suggested I learn it, from what I remember it wasn't too hard but I didn't stick at it (sadly) I much prefer the art related stuff as I am an artist but I also want to develop something of my own and see how far I get with it.

I appreciate the advice! From what I have seen the documentation is pretty good. I really cannot wait to get into the engine and play with it, but while I wait I have much art I can create for my little projects for when I do get the engine anyway :P and until then I will surely be lurking around the forums haha

Regards

Patrick

when you can code with python you should understand lua also. lua is a little bit annoying with the if else statements (I hate the THEN and ENDs like in Pascal)

just read some lua code and try to code some hello world stuff and play with tables. the rest is not that hard

It doesn´t work... why? mhmmm It works... why?