Hey guys, im new and have general questions about the engine.

drumwrist0123

First off, this game engine looks GREAT. I have no idea how to code or do anything though and I would like to know: Does this engine have tutorials built into it? Will it teach me how to code?

I want to keep my full time job but also on the side create a game with a group of friends. We want to just make a small game at first see how it works and then give it away for free. See how people like it, and then build on from there.

So my list of questions for you.

Again, will this engine teach me how to use it? How to code and all that?

How do you aquire tons of textures to use for like foliage and everything like that?

How do you get tree models to use and what not, that arent taken from other games and what not?

I over all want to learn how to be my own game creation company. I want to make something that people will enjoy and recommend to others. Creativity has always been my passion. I play music, I play games, and most of all I love colaborating with other people.

So I hope that I can find out the most I can about this engine before buying it, because I can not afford unity pro. 1500 Dollars seems quite expensive.

I can't answer all your questions, I'm still a 4-day old myself at this engine. One thing you're going to need is the drive and motivation to learn it. I'm pestering the **** out of everybody on the forum to figure things out, but hopefully they think I have decent questions in my quest for clarification.

That being said, everything requires a learning curve, and this engine is no different. There are indeed tutorial maps included in the engine that teach you things like drawing rooms, making elevators, a couple of kinds of doors, moving platforms, buttons and switches, timed events, etc. Most of those things don't require programming or coding in themselves.

After you get the basics of map design down, you'll start watching more complex tutorials that do involve some coding. Every video I watch teaches me something new. Just today in fact, I learned how to disable the camera that comes prebuilt with the fps player script and use my own, giving me more options with the camera effects. I learned that you can edit scripts, make your own, and pretty much code anything you can figure out. Don't like the options with an included script? Think it needs more options? ADD THEM, CHANGE THEM. This engine has all the potential in the world to make the game you want.

So will it teach you how to code? Not directly. But can you learn by having something you want to try? Absolutely. Like I said, 4 days into it, and I'm so much farther ahead than the day I started it's unreal. I can scarcely imagine what I'll know 4 days from now.

That's all the information I can offer you. I haven't gotten into models outside the engine yet, so I'll let someone else pick it up from here.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure I'll have a million questions in my quest to master the Leadwerks Engine. Thank you for your patience.

I can't answer all your questions, I'm still a 4-day old myself at this engine. One thing you're going to need is the drive and motivation to learn it. I'm pestering the **** out of everybody on the forum to figure things out, but hopefully they think I have decent questions in my quest for clarification.

That being said, everything requires a learning curve, and this engine is no different. There are indeed tutorial maps included in the engine that teach you things like drawing rooms, making elevators, a couple of kinds of doors, moving platforms, buttons and switches, timed events, etc. Most of those things don't require programming or coding in themselves.

After you get the basics of map design down, you'll start watching more complex tutorials that do involve some coding. Every video I watch teaches me something new. Just today in fact, I learned how to disable the camera that comes prebuilt with the fps player script and use my own, giving me more options with the camera effects. I learned that you can edit scripts, make your own, and pretty much code anything you can figure out. Don't like the options with an included script? Think it needs more options? ADD THEM, CHANGE THEM. This engine has all the potential in the world to make the game you want.

So will it teach you how to code? Not directly. But can you learn by having something you want to try? Absolutely. Like I said, 4 days into it, and I'm so much farther ahead than the day I started it's unreal. I can scarcely imagine what I'll know 4 days from now.

That's all the information I can offer you. I haven't gotten into models outside the engine yet, so I'll let someone else pick it up from here.

Hey dude THANKS! Love fast replies and this reply makes me feel confident. My goal is to make an open world survival game. I know there are quite a few out there but hey you never know if I can make it work! Do you think this engine can handle making a HUGE world, probably the size of an elderscrolls type game? Im going to start off with small maps first, with a good set of quests just for the first test run of a game. Once I make a few games that last about an hour long each then will I moveo n to bigger deals. Have to start off small. But yeah, I really do want to get this engine, Unity seems like it will break my wallet and that I wouldnt use all that it offers or idk. I honestly have no idea. I just want to make video games. XD

Hey dude THANKS! Love fast replies and this reply makes me feel confident. My goal is to make an open world survival game. I know there are quite a few out there but hey you never know if I can make it work! Do you think this engine can handle making a HUGE world, probably the size of an elderscrolls type game? Im going to start off with small maps first, with a good set of quests just for the first test run of a game. Once I make a few games that last about an hour long each then will I moveo n to bigger deals. Have to start off small. But yeah, I really do want to get this engine, Unity seems like it will break my wallet and that I wouldnt use all that it offers or idk. I honestly have no idea. I just want to make video games. XD

I'm glad that helped you. I had similar questions right before I purchased the engine a few days ago. I didn't particularly ask about a game the size of Elder Scrolls, but I did have questions about replicating the ideas behind a Serious Sam game, which of course uses VAST areas with ENORMOUS numbers of enemies on the screen at a time.

Feel free to read the conversation I had on Steam here:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/251810/discussions/0/630800447046789935/

Additionally, this is what Leadwerks can do for example with a large number of characters on the screen at a time:

I'm sure I'll have a million questions in my quest to master the Leadwerks Engine. Thank you for your patience.

I'm glad that helped you. I had similar questions right before I purchased the engine a few days ago. I didn't particularly ask about a game the size of Elder Scrolls, but I did have questions about replicating the ideas behind a Serious Sam game, which of course uses VAST areas with ENORMOUS numbers of enemies on the screen at a time.

Feel free to read the conversation I had on Steam here:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/251810/discussions/0/630800447046789935/

Additionally, this is what Leadwerks can do for example with a large number of characters on the screen at a time:

Dude do you have a Steam account? Are you interested in possibly friending? Im twenty one if that matters. Ive bene wanting to try and make a video game for as long as I can remember. And it would be dope to hear of your progress with your game. What ever you learn I would appreciate to hear from you and get some tips and what not! I no way at all want to influence your game either by the way. I just like hearing about peoples creativity and what they do and what they have planned.

Here are my two cents:

Again, will this engine teach me how to use it?

There are currently 7 official video tutorial on engine usage. These tutorials covers the layout and scripts that comes with the engine.

How to code and all that?

There are several written tutorials as well as video tutorials. Like every programmer you have to start with the basics. Do not expect to know how to program a full game within a few days.

How do you aquire tons of textures to use for like foliage and everything like that?

Although the editor comes with some models and textures, not everything is provided for you. You can look in the assets store for free models as well as other websites on the web. The asset store is currently under revision since the Steam workshop is now active.

How do you get tree models to use and what not, that arent taken from other games and what not?

You either model them yourself, hire or team up with an artist or try to get them from a free model website like turbosquid.

I over all want to learn how to be my own game creation company. I want to make something that people will enjoy and recommend to others. Creativity has always been my passion. I play music, I play games, and most of all I love colaborating with other people. So I hope that I can find out the most I can about this engine before buying it, because I can not afford unity pro. 1500 Dollars seems quite expensive.

I can only say that you have to invest a lot of time learning and making stuff. Don't expect to much of your first games. Learn how to program by either following tutorials, editing existing scripts and a lot of trial and error. That said: follow your dreams and don't give up.

• Upvote 1

Just a word of caution: An "open-world survival game" is quite a challenge, especially if you're new to coding. Maybe consider something smaller to start with. You might risk getting frustrated otherwise because you will hit a lot of obstacles in that genre that are not completely easy to solve...

• Upvote 1