The Poor Man's Cloud for Working on Your Game in Multiple Places

MisterGravity

First, it must be said that everyone should have their own Leadwerks license.

So now that they do, how can you have a cloud shared between yourself in two different locations, or for two different people to work on the same project? Well, there's probably expensive and complicated services out there, but a simple one is Dropbox. The only problem is that Dropbox only comes with 2gb of space, and you probably need more than that to keep up with your game files and more.

Dropbox has a feature built into it that says that if you can get people to sign up through your reference link, you get 500mb of free space, maxing you out around 18gb of space. But what if you don't have that many friends?

Ever heard of Fiverr.com? There's a guy who offers a service where he will expand your Dropbox out to it's max for $5. That's right, an 18gb Dropbox for $5, one time and you're done. Can't beat that. Expand your Dropbox, share that folder with the other members of your team or yourself in two locations, and you're done.

For best results, make sure Dropbox is set at C:\Dropbox so everyone on the team accesses it the same way. When I open up my project on any computer, it's the same with no fussing because all my files are located in C:\Dropbox\Leadwerks

I am in no way promoting Fiverr, that guy on Fiverr, or expanding your Dropbox in this manner. I'm just pointing you over there going, "Hey, this works pretty good for a poor man's cloud."

I'm sure I'll have a million questions in my quest to master the Leadwerks Engine. Thank you for your patience.

Git or mercurial would be my recommendation. Not only do you have an online backup, it is easier when you in teams. Not even mentioning the version control and branching.

Dropbox is nice for an online backup but is not ideal for version control.

Not only that but you can host it your self on a nas or other lowpower device ( think raspberry pi, beaglebone black, etv)

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k