How do I import new models ?

harryknapp3

And before that you can import your model (which must be in fbx format) by simply dragging it from the file system into a suitable folder of your project. Leadwerks will automatically convert it and store it in its internal mdl format (that's the file you supply to Model::Load).

okay for the beginning search models that has the .fbx format

and do:

And before that you can import your model (which must be in fbx format) by simply dragging it from the file system into a suitable folder of your project. Leadwerks will automatically convert it and store it in its internal mdl format (that's the file you supply to Model::Load).

if you have .obj models convert them with "Autodesk FBX Converter 2013" into a .fbx file.

It doesn´t work... why? mhmmm It works... why?

when you want to develope a game you obviously have to learn a programm language like lua or c++. the engine comes with some classes like the Model Class.

just read:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/documentation/_/command-reference/

load models in lua e.g.:

var = Model:Load(path)

for the beginning dont use models and use primitives like

var = Model:Box(1,1,1)

that creates a box (cube) with size x,y,z = 1

default position is vec3(0,0,0) in the space

It doesn´t work... why? mhmmm It works... why?

Is your floor a plane (is it very "skinny"?). I ran into issues when models didn't have back faces, to save on poly count, and collision. I either created CSG for the collision and painted the invisible material on it so the visual model is all that's seen, or you can make a collision model that has a little more thickness and use that.

So here's the issue I'm having. I've just created my very first 3D model in Blender, a nice and shiny coffee cup. Well in the tutorial, the guy had me turn up the quality for rendering, and of course I followed the instructions not knowing what I was doing.

What I ended up with was an absolutely gorgeous coffee cup with 82,050 polygons (because "Tris" = "Polys", right?). I'm learning now that 82,050 is a ridiculous amount. Well, I turned it into a .fbx file before I realized that, and dragged it into LE, and I immediately got the error message: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION, and LE crashed.

Then I started it back up again, went to the Models folder in Assets, and got the same error again, crash.

So here's a couple of questions:

1. How can I delete that model from the map so I can continue, even if it keeps crashing?

2. When you export a model in Blender, if you right click the object (to grab just that), and then click Export, does it just export that model, or does it export the entire scene, camera, light source and all?

Hey, gotta give me credit for trying. At least I attempted modeling! :D

I'm sure I'll have a million questions in my quest to master the Leadwerks Engine. Thank you for your patience.

1. In explorer find the place where your fbx file is (where you dragged it). Delete that one and the one with the ending .mdl

2. When you are at export there is a part "Export FBX". There you can select whether to export Selected Object or not

A bit off topic: I tested with at Blender character with 500.000 polys my self. No problem.

So I guess the number of polys was not the problem.

AV MX Linux

1. In explorer find the place where your fbx file is (where you dragged it). Delete that one and the one with the ending .mdl

2. When you are at export there is a part "Export FBX". There you can select whether to export Selected Object or not

A bit off topic: I tested with at Blender character with 500.000 polys my self. No problem.

So I guess the number of polys was not the problem.

Well, that worked. I was able to remove the model from crashing the program and reopen it. Also I used your method of choosing to select just the object and then I exported it again. I left it the size it was and put it back into Leadwerks. I laughed outloud to see that my coffee cup is as big as a door.

tumblr_mzrm159ebc1qk5t55o1_1280.jpg

It also didn't keep the texture, but I'll look into that later. Baby steps.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure I'll have a million questions in my quest to master the Leadwerks Engine. Thank you for your patience.