Leadwerks User Guide - LUG

AggrorJorn

I'm putting together a Leadwerks 2.3 User Guide. It has all the basic functions inside and outside the editor explained. I

Download the LUG here.

Current version: 1.01

106 pages of useful information that helps you getting around with the Leadwerks engine 2.3. This user guide is ideal for beginners but can also be used by advanced members as a reference guide.

*new in version 1.01

fixed several typos

fixed incorrect explanations

updating the light and shadow options (Leadwerks 2.31)

Camera path

road node

corona

edit menu

better mat file explanation

Explanation about shaders

shader usage

Things that need to be added in LUG:

sounds

ini file and lua representative

• Upvote 3

- Under models, it might be helpful to show step by step how to convert some of the purchased models (like Dexsoft) so that they function in the editor correctly. For the most part I figured it out but it would have been helpful to have.

- Explain some of the possibilities that certain scripts/features/functions have and how they would be used in a game environment. An experienced user may look at a set of functions and right away see what they can do with it - a noob looks at it and says...nice...what do I do with it.

- Make sure it is written for noobs...assume they dont know anything...it is easy to end up with a guide that is not detailed enough or "too advanced" for the total noob and the persons who do understand it, know enough already so that they dont really need a guide hehe. Half the time when I see a noob question and then see the answer - it is like a riddle to figure out what they mean...if you know a lot it is hard to imagine how little a noob knows! Anyway, it is probably too much work but osmething to keep in mind!!!

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3/ Intel Q9450 @ 2.67GHz / 3.5GB DDR3 SDRAM / GeForce 8800 GTS 512

Thanks for the comments :D

- I don't buy models from Dexsoft so I wouldn't know how this works. Maybe someone else has experience with this. This can be added later though because there a lot of people who buy these assets. :huh:

- I can't program, I just try some code and see if it works. Although I understand LUA a bit better then C++, I sometimes don't know exactly how commando's work. However, when Josh makes some new tutorials I might get better at it. I think I'll make a separate Lua user Guide for this. ;)

- I'm trying to make this User guide at a way so that every one can work with the engine. It doesn't mater whether you can program, model, animate or texture. When there are chapters that are unclear to users they can report that and I'll make some adjustments. B)

I like the concept and its very generous of you to take the time and even open yourself to the inevitable onslaught of questions. Perhaps just focus on LUA since its the common language that most of us will be using alongside whatever other language. As for the dexsoft models, eh... actually it would apply to basically any model... the problem is there are so many different possible conversion methods... so do you just focus on the model after its been converted to gmf or do you try to cover all of the conversion processes?

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

I like the concept and its very generous of you to take the time and even open yourself to the inevitable onslaught of questions. Perhaps just focus on LUA since its the common language that most of us will be using alongside whatever other language. As for the dexsoft models, eh... actually it would apply to basically any model... the problem is there are so many different possible conversion methods... so do you just focus on the model after its been converted to gmf or do you try to cover all of the conversion processes?

At first I''l just try to make a non-coding User guide. There are a few lines of code in it, but they are not explained in usage. They are just examples.

I will probably only make somehting Lua. Going into another language would be suïcidale.

I see that conversion of models needs more attention then I originally thought. I wrote a few lines about the conversion tools, but that probably isn't enough. I'll spend some time on how the conversions work, but i'm goign to finish the guide first, so that I can release it this weekend.

At first I''l just try to make a non-coding User guide. There are a few lines of code in it, but they are not explained in usage. They are just examples.

I will probably only make somehting Lua. Going into another language would be suïcidale.

I see that conversion of models needs more attention then I originally thought. I wrote a few lines about the conversion tools, but that probably isn't enough. I'll spend some time on how the conversions work, but i'm goign to finish the guide first, so that I can release it this weekend.

I think Mack has a good point, I'd just stick to the LE specific tools and their use, otherwise you'll end up being expected to "debug" peoples entire workflow from start to finish.

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

We should have 3 kinds of tutorials:

1) How to start with LE (doesn't exist yet, although the official tutorials cover an essential part of that)

2) How to use LE (looks like this tutorial is gonna do that)

3) How to make a game with LE as fast and efficient as possible (Power Tutorial tries to cover that)

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

We should have 3 kinds of tutorials:

1) How to start with LE (doesn't exist yet, although the official tutorials cover an essential part of that)

2) How to use LE (looks like this tutorial is gonna do that)

3) How to make a game with LE as fast and efficient as possible (Power Tutorial tries to cover that)

When Josh is back from his weekend of I will ask him what kind of tutorials he is making. I hope to see some updated videos instead of new feature tutorials.

• Upvote 1

Very Generous of you Aggror as others have said, thank you for your time :D

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Thanks Marley,

I'm afraid I can't finish it this weekend.

Oh thats quite alright Aggror ... ready to DL monday night will be fine ... :):P

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Due to some overwork I wasn't able to finish it today. I'm going to skip the model conversion for a while as I need to research that first before I can start writing about it. I jsut saw the edit menu in the terrain editor. Thats quite the menu as well but I'm gonna skip that for now.

only thing remaining is the explanation about the deault lua menu's and special objects. index updated.

Due to some overwork I wasn't able to finish it today

Its no good Aggror we are going to have to sack you ... :unsure::D

seriously I agree with Pixel

I wouldn't rush it. If it's going to take a while longer to get it how you want it that's fine

it will be ready when its ready .. ;)

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

• 3 weeks later...