Exception Access Violation (again)

Farcical

Occasionally I get an EAV error and the game crashes. Normally starts back up again but this time will not launch and displays Windows error Exception Access Violation. I noticed a couple of earlier posts on this same topic but they don't seem to be my problem. Crashes on multiple copy and paste primitives and with large terrain map (2048). Too much for my computer?

Windows 7 . 64 bit

AMD Athlon II x 4 3.00 ghz.

Ram 4 GB

Occasionally I get an EAV error and the game crashes. Normally starts back up again but this time will not launch and displays Windows error Exception Access Violation. I noticed a couple of earlier posts on this same topic but they don't seem to be my problem. Crashes on multiple copy and paste primitives and with large terrain map (2048). Too much for my computer?

Windows 7 . 64 bit

AMD Athlon II x 4 3.00 ghz.

Ram 4 GB

This happens to me aswell

Thank's for the replies. I would post a map but unfortunately the engine will not launch. The error comes up with the edit screen and nothing responds. Could not even close the program properly. Had to minimize the screen and exit Steam to get the frozen engine to close down. Manually reloaded the installs from files. Checked cache. Every thing ok there. That is really all I know how to do at this point. Next will try looking around in other Steam/Leadwerks files but blind when it comes to that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Great engine up to this point and a great opportunity for a player to create a world. I just can't get back to mine right now.

Have you checked the file size of you start.map? Mine did this before and my .map file was corrupt. Was showing 8kb when infact it was supposed to be 235mb. If thats not it then check your models and textures, always seems to happen to me when something doesnt save right.

Great engine up to this point and a great opportunity for a player to create a world. I just can't get back to mine right now.

Yes, we must remove these sort of bugs from Leadwerks 3. I can't imagine a little studio working like pros and loosing their weeks of work caus map is corrupted (i already loosed 4 weeks of work in a "final fight" game caus of map corruption).

Could LE3 have detailled better logs at map loading ? (It could help a lot of people and this problem).

Also running a map , has autosave behind the scenes before it runs, could it be the problem ?

Stop toying and make games

• 2 weeks later...

This started happening to me an hour ago.

The odd thing is, I had my project loaded and was working on it earlier today. Then after a few hours of browsing online, I clicked on the Leadwerks editor tab in the task bar (because I never closed it), and I received this exception when the the Leadwerks editor came into focus..

I had to delete the config file to fix the error and launch Leadwerks (as per another thread). However, I am now having a problem loading the map I was working on, though no changes were made to it from the time it was working onward. It now always receives the error... But, the tutorial levels work fine now.

I hope that made sense.

-Jeff

EDIT:

I should mention that I am using Steam's version of the software, and that there seems to have been an update to Steam, and Leadwerks (through Steam), at the time I noticed all this happening. Also, I am trying to find a way to upload my map file. :)

Edited by jefftrier
SH_Banner_467x83.jpg

I find the same problem. I can't leave Leadwerks open and not doing anything with it (maybe minimized) for a long time or else it crashes when I try to go back to it. I just left it open over night and this morning I tried to move around in the perspective view and it was chopping and slow for a few seconds, then it crashed.

Should be in Bug Reports.

@JeffTrier :

I got also a map not loading anymore, so i agree serious problem if you have put hours and hours of work.

I would really like LE3 to be lot more safe with maps we create.

Could you post you map and files ?

@ YouGroove:

I can't seem to upload the file. I tried editing my post to use the full post editor, but the upload link still didn't show up. My guess is that it is a privileged function, and that I am set to Member, and not Developer. I'll keep prodding.

Out of curiosity... is this a Steam version only bug?

EDIT:

@Josh: Thanks! I attached the file.

start.zip

Edited by jefftrier
SH_Banner_467x83.jpg

@ YouGroove:

I can't seem to upload the file. I tried editing my post to use the full post editor, but the upload link still didn't show up. My guess is that it is a privileged function, and that I am set to Member, and not Developer. I'll keep prodding.

Out of curiosity... is this a Steam version only bug?

I had to change the permissions to allow you to upload files in this forum. Now it will work. Sorry about that.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Just tried to load your map i got Exception.

Watching the logs i see 3 delete commands ? LE3 should not delete anything and should just load materials and textures etc ... ?

bug.jpg

Would it be possible to have some map validator tool ? or detail list viewer ?

(if that problem could happen to anyone ? )

AFAIK the problem is that both versions share the Leadwerks.cfg file. So 3.0 is trying to open up a 3.1 map (because that was the last thing you used), which fails. If you navigate to that cfg file and change the map it opens up by default manually to a 3.0 project (it's just a text file), then it should work.

C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\Leadwerks

Well, here is a possible clue...

I had started a new project from scratch, spent a day creating/playing on it, then this morning after doing a "Build NavMesh" on my map, I received the Exception_Access_Violation error. Leadwerks 3.1 closed.

However, I noticed that at the moment I went to generate the NavMesh, Steam was already updating one of my games (7 Days to Die). I launched Leadwerks, and waited for the update to finish... and had no problem creating the NavMesh.

It could have been coincidence of course, but who knows. smile.png

Edit: Clarity

Edited by jefftrier
SH_Banner_467x83.jpg