Shader editor possible ?

YouGroove

Ah, the UDK material editor.... superior for material instances to manipulate materials on the fly, including the ability to use multiple UV layers with text cord...., moving location and rotating parts of textures on pieces of the material.... also

I'm no expert at it, but comfortable enough to stand my own ground with it.

Shaders.....

I think that makes shaders more difficult to use. Our shader editor is far easier to work with.

I guess it depends what your used to. I have never wrote a shader before but i have worked with blenders node shader creator and 3ds max's as well. It opens up more possibilities for more users.

Ah, the UDK material editor.... superior for material instances to manipulate materials on the fly, including the ability to use multiple UV layers with text cord...., moving location and rotating parts of textures on pieces of the material.... also

I'm no expert at it, but comfortable enough to stand my own ground with it.

That takes one line of code in our editor, and you can continually hit F5 to test and see the results instantly.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I wouldn't think this is any kind of priority but the reality is we basically have 1 community member who can do any shader programming. Something like this could open it up to more people, just like the flowgraph has opened up some gameplay possibilities to people who don't really know how to code interactions.

I feel like if a person knows how to code they often see this as long and tedious but if you don't know how to code these give you a way to do something.

Tools like these exist and are popular for a reason, and it's often because the people who know what looks good, aren't programmers. This is why there are so few shader programmers.

• Upvote 5

I don't think a full-fledged, node-based editor should be a high priority. And it shouldn't replace manual shader coding, because you will lose a lot of functionality. What would be nice, though, is something like Unity (and the UDK editor as well) does, where you can link shader uniforms to material properties and then manipulate those in the material editor. And especially sliders are really nice with this, because it's a lot easier to move the slider until the effect looks right in the material view, rather than editing floats.

For learning GLSL the simplest method is start by modding a pixel shader (in my experience). Like :

Add color by multiplying outcolor by a vec4(r,g,b,a)

Blend a texture by multiplying outcolor by texture(textureX, ex_texcoords0)

Offset uv by adding to ex_texcoords0.xy

What happens if you add or mulitply stuff etc..

Start easy and see what you can do on existing shaders, then move on to vertex shaders, postprocess shaders.

If you look at the recent glowmap shaders, and diff them to the original ones you will see one line is added and one line is changed.

1. texture sampler for texture5 is declared

2. emissive out channel reads texture with UV coordinates ex_texture0

Sending stuff to a shader is usually a one way ticket, you can't get anything back to the application.

What I find most annoying with shaders are all the different spaces you can calclulate stuff in, like screen, object, light, world, viewprojection etc. If you look around the web, they usually calls them different things in examples etc.

Uniforms and attributes names are input to the shader from the application, thats usually why you cant just copy/paste glsl shaders from other engines or examples without translating them.

HP Omen - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

In fact UDK material editor has the advantage of hiddign code for people that do'nt know anything about shader code.

Intesad you have block functionnaly with inputs and outputs , any guy can mix them try any connections and see something in the output.

The benefit is just creating unique custom shader effect and nono expected ones also.

Indeed we can tweak shader code and values and have results, and my question was not clear and more :

Could it be possible with some future LE3 Gui or LE3 editor open extensions to create a minimal visual shader editor ?

Create some sahder file behind the scene as you add/remove/connect blocks and run the shader file by code to test it ?

Anyway this is only suggestion, LE3 shaders (bump/specular , bloom, water, reflection) are the essential ones and most usefull indeed.

Stop toying and make games

Personally I would love a node based Shader system.

Third party or Integrated into Leadwerks much like Unreal engines Implementation.

I say this because I know nothing about shaders however I know how to make shaders with a node based system.

Kind of backwards yes...