Canardian

Asset category additions

Currently there are only Asset categories for Materials, Models, Heightmaps.

I would like also Asset categories for Sounds, Musics, Codes.

Shouldn't there be one for a "model" that the new editor users? Something that has all those things inside it that you can drag into the editor. What are we calling that anyway? If it's a "model" I don't think that describes it correctly, because I have in the works a few things that use this approach that aren't models. They are more logical type things.

Yay, there is also sounds assets now, but no musics assets.

Also, I can't upload any sounds, since it doesn't allow ogg format.

Currently it says:

Maximum Size: 8MB

Allowed: aiff, bmp, css, doc, gif, gz, hqx, htm, html, ico, jpeg, jpg, mov, mp3, mpg, pdf, php, png, ppt, ps, ram, rtf, swf, tar, tiff, txt, viv, wav, wmv, xml, zip

I would remove mp3 and zip, and add ogg, oga, ogv, rar, pak.

For the musics assets there should be also mid, cpr, ogg, oga, ogv, rar, pak.

I wonder about the code - Would it be better in the Wiki? I mean the code is going to keep changing with versions and it just seems the 'Downloads' system won't facilitate that. Furthermore, we'll now have two places to look for code.

In my opinion the code would be better placed in the Wiki along with the rest of it, and just have a link added to the Wiki up the top there.

Yes? No?

• Upvote 1

Currently it says:

Maximum Size: 8MB

Allowed: aiff, bmp, css, doc, gif, gz, hqx, htm, html, ico, jpeg, jpg, mov, mp3, mpg, pdf, php, png, ppt, ps, ram, rtf, swf, tar, tiff, txt, viv, wav, wmv, xml, zip

I would remove mp3 and zip, and add ogg, oga, ogv, rar, pak.

is there a need for ppt or rtf? heck, if you just made it rar, pak, and zip, it would allow everything to be uploaded and compressed.

I think there should be a one and only place for all assets. The wiki downloads can be moved to this same place also.

Currently the Downloads are open for non-registered users also, so that should fixed.

It should be available only for registered users.

It's kinda like part of LE.

Currently the Downloads are open for non-registered users also, so that should fixed.

really? even people that don't have the SDK? so what about models with lua scripts? should those be kept from the downloads and only put in the lua programming section? i assume header files would be a no-no...

Oh wait, non-registered users see all the assets, but they can't download them.

Kinda silly, but that works too ;)

They can only download external assets, like the wood-chip texture.

I'm all for having the downloads here, I think its a great system. But I really don't think we should be putting code there for a number of reasons:

1. The Wiki already has heaps of code there and it is perfectly constructed.

2. I think we can all agree that two locations for the same stuff (code) is a bad idea over-all.

3. The Wiki leads itself to code storage, while the downloads system does not - Code often requires small modifications and changes. Easy done on the wiki by anyone.

4. The Wiki is amazingly well kept - Honest to god its probably one of the nicest and cleanest Wiki's I've seen in a long while. I think we should build upon that.

The only problem I foresee is one of access. Obviously Josh is keen to lock down some of the knowledge-base to registered users only. I'm not entirely sure what to do here. Obviously you could just password protect half of the Wiki pages but I think we'd all want some sort of integration into this site. Anyone know if there are any IPB add-ons for wiki's?

I'm all for having the downloads here, I think its a great system. But I really don't think we should be putting code there for a number of reasons:

1. The Wiki already has heaps of code there and it is perfectly constructed.

2. I think we can all agree that two locations for the same stuff (code) is a bad idea over-all.

3. The Wiki leads itself to code storage, while the downloads system does not - Code often requires small modifications and changes. Easy done on the wiki by anyone.

4. The Wiki is amazingly well kept - Honest to god its probably one of the nicest and cleanest Wiki's I've seen in a long while. I think we should build upon that.

The only problem I foresee is one of access. Obviously Josh is keen to lock down some of the knowledge-base to registered users only. I'm not entirely sure what to do here. Obviously you could just password protect half of the Wiki pages but I think we'd all want some sort of integration into this site. Anyone know if there are any IPB add-ons for wiki's?

Surely the only people who will require code are those who own the SDK's (2.xx or 2.3)? The wiki is in need of updating in general, so it might as well come here? Theres no real reason for public access to anything that requires to be a registered user so keeping it all in one place would be quite handy... that is of course if this site gets a little quicker ;)

Gladly LE has it's own propretiary model format, so the Wiki can be full of them, and no non-LE user can use them.

I think it's also in the interest of every LE user to get more people to use LE, since the more people use LE, the better the community is, the more ideas there are, and the more resources Josh has to bring new features to it.

Gladly LE has it's own propretiary model format, so the Wiki can be full of them, and no non-LE user can use them.

You missed a catagory ...non registered users of LE .. a public site full of LE's own propretiary model format and code ? they'd think their ship had come in lol

Free content has its uses. I don't think I would have even touched LE had I not been able to view all those video tutorials on the Wiki. Think about this - LE can and is being actively pirated. But it shouldn't be a big issue, because Josh is in a position where no one is going to risk being sued for releasing an application using software they don't have a registration for. Furthermore, this new forum dictates that you need a registration if you want any sort of support, which anyone will quickly realize is a necessity.

I think it best we leave it at that. If you start taking away all the free stuff you're actually removing a lot of your marketing material.

All of this shouldn't even be a consideration though. Surely we can all see that putting code in this download system will be the father of all messes? I agree that there should be some sort of integration into this new portal. But lets not destroy what is a great if out-dated wiki for the sake of change.

LE can and is being actively pirated. But it shouldn't be a big issue

I think that is a big issue, seems to me only a registered user could have access to the SDK?

Just because there maybe ripped off copies of that SDK they become somewhat useless when theres nothing to use with them. Why aid those non registered users?

Sure keep basic "this is what can be done" videos public, but an indepth video/written tutorial or code snippet is only of any real use to those with the SDK, might as well make its only the registered ones.

I think that is a big issue, seems to me only a registered user could have access to the SDK?

Just because there maybe ripped off copies of that SDK they become somewhat useless when theres nothing to use with them. Why aid those non registered users?

Sure keep basic "this is what can be done" videos public, but an indepth video/written tutorial or code snippet is only of any real use to those with the SDK, might as well make its only the registered ones.

Yeah I think that's fair enough. Though keep in mind that the users who download a pirated copy are really i nthe same boat as the ones downloading the trial - They're wanting to check it out. You want to give them enough material to see and do what they would like, but refuse them enough to show them that registering is best. Its a fine line I know, but its one you want to get right. *shrugs*

But still, my main issue here is the thought of loosing the Wiki - I have grown rather fond of it and I'd like to see it stay as the main knowledge-base for code. I just don't think this download system can facilitate code snippets in a way we'd like.

Yeah I think that's fair enough. Though keep in mind that the users who download a pirated copy are really i nthe same boat as the ones downloading the trial - They're wanting to check it out. You want to give them enough material to see and do what they would like, but refuse them enough to show them that registering is best. Its a fine line I know, but its one you want to get right. *shrugs*

But still, my main issue here is the thought of loosing the Wiki - I have grown rather fond of it and I'd like to see it stay as the main knowledge-base for code. I just don't think this download system can facilitate code snippets in a way we'd like.

Code snippets may not only be in download form, already "snippets" are popping up in the forum, just as easy to Cut and Paste into a blaank .txt and rename ? as for those in the same boat as the ones downloading the trial ... they can download the trial too ;)

eh, the code examples have been out of date or just never there, I don't use it for that anymore... BUT the wiki is invaluable for BMAX users to use Degac's BMAX highlighting program for use in Blide/BMAX. If any changes are done to the wiki that needs to be accounted for! This is what allows us to have highlighted commands and personally has been a time saver.

But it shouldn't be a big issue, because Josh is in a position where no one is going to risk being sued for releasing an application using software they don't have a registration for.

If I only made money from people who released a commercial game then my income so far for all my work on the engine would be exactly zero.

Really guys? You want code snippets in the forum? Really? How can one manage that? It'll be a mess.

Josh mentioned in his blog that he was keen on updating all the tutorials and guides and whatnot now that 2.3 is out. I think taking the wiki and integrating it into the portal would be the best way to do this.

If I only made money from people who released a commercial game then my income so far for all my work on the engine would be exactly zero.

That is correct, but that's not happening is it?

I apologize if I made it seem like I was discounting piracy - It is a big problem for the entire software industry. Lucky for us it has been around forever and so we can look back in time and see what measures have been taken and what has and hasn't worked. In many cases the fight against piracy has actually harmed the sale of a product more than help it. This is generally because the DRM involved has caused issues with paying customers. A parallel can be drawn here to the registration key system Josh uses. It can take days for a customer to even be able to download the SDK. A temporary and small issue, but its still one we people get pissed off with time and again on the forums.

There is also a growing realisation that the piracy of a product can actually HELP the sales of the product. This can be seen in cases where the piracy has caused free and rapid distribution throughout the internet which quickly creates a fanbase of users who eventually buy the product (Most notably seen in the music industry).

Now these aren't hard and fast rules. They apply when the conditions are right. So the question is, what works for Leadwerks?

:lol:

That is correct, but that's not happening is it?

I apologize if I made it seem like I was discounting piracy - It is a big problem for the entire software industry. Lucky for us it has been around forever and so we can look back in time and see what measures have been taken and what has and hasn't worked. In many cases the fight against piracy has actually harmed the sale of a product more than help it. This is generally because the DRM involved has caused issues with paying customers. A parallel can be drawn here to the registration key system Josh uses. It can take days for a customer to even be able to download the SDK. A temporary and small issue, but its still one we people get pissed off with time and again on the forums.

There is also a growing realisation that the piracy of a product can actually HELP the sales of the product. This can be seen in cases where the piracy has caused free and rapid distribution throughout the internet which quickly creates a fanbase of users who eventually buy the product (Most notably seen in the music industry).

Don't take this the wrong way but reading that makes you sound like an apologist for piracy. :lol: