EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (repost per direction)

Description of Occurance (for the attached ship1.map file):

1. I created a new project from the project manager and loaded it.
  2. I created a new map in the map editor
  3. I created entities and CSG's.
  4. I saved the project, naming the new map as ship1.map.
  5. I reload the project and it play-tested fine.
  6. I ended the play-test and left Leadwerks in Edit Mode
  7. I left the computer and project open for a few hours.
  8. I saved the project again after making no changes.
  9. I received the Mentioned error.
  10. Leadwerks shut down after I clicked OK
  11. The map no longer loads, and always produces the error.

Attached: BugReport-ExceptionAccessViolation.zip

1. Image of the Error
  2. MAP files that produce this error when loaded into Steam's Leadwerks 3.1 (ship1.map from this reported project, and start.map from another project which error'd the same way, while following similar steps above)

Machine

Model: P7-1234

Processor: AMD A6-3650 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.60GHz

EDIT: Added more attachment detail to this thread

Edited by jefftrier
SH_Banner_467x83.jpg

Was you using LE 3.1 with Steam online ?

Did you have Auto Save on ?

This is bad practice to let computer and work saved few hours , and redo a non necessary save (but indeed it should not pose problem.

I already posted it :

We need a map content verification and objects viewer and validation tool.

Stop toying and make games

The first time it happened, autosave was on. The second time it happened, it was turned off... but the error occurred when I hit the save button manually. So, my guess is that the corruption happens during the save process, no matter how it's initiated.

It sounds like they just need to nail down how/where the corruption happens, and need us to post the steps and corrupted files, to help them determine enough of a pattern to fix the error.

@Yougroove: Not to turn this thread into a feature request, but I feel the validation tool you mention might be better set behind the scenes, upon saving (via "copy/test/rename/paste" style of verification or otherwise.).

SH_Banner_467x83.jpg

Thank you.

This is bad practice to let computer and work saved few hours , and redo a non necessary save (but indeed it should not pose problem.
It is not possible to lose more than five minutes' work, maximum. The editor has an auto-backup feature that by default saves a copy every five minutes, in the location "C:\Users\username\Documents\Leadwerks\Backup". If the map loader isn't loading a file correctly, an external tool that does the same thing won't help. The proper thing to do is find and fix the problem, if one exists.

Both the maps you provided have the internal string table position listed as '0' which is definitely wrong...

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I did some more poking around. The file is full of multiple wrong values...0 objects, nav data is wrong. It's almost as is it's full of random bytes.

If you notice any pattern with this, or if anyone else experiences it, please post here. Not sure how I can continue investigating it at this point, since I have never experienced anything like this.

Ah, I just realized the editor crashes during saving...of course the map will be totally borked at that point. There's two things we can do to deal with this. First, a backup of your map exists in "C:\Users\username\Documents\Leadwerks\Backup". By default, these are saved every five minutes. Second, I can do like many paint programs do and write the map to a temp file, then when it's done rename the file to the path it's supposed to be. This is done in Paint Shop Pro, etc. so that if the editor does crash for any reason during saving, the original file isn't messed up.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

When I uploaded the maps, the forum required me to Zip them (as it didn't like the .map extension). Is there any indication that additional corruption could have happened due to the zipping? I figured I would throw that out there to rule it out. smile.png I am also wondering if virus/malware protection is making a contribution to the corruption... since it doesn't seem to be hitting us all.

I will keep mapping away to see what I run into.

SH_Banner_467x83.jpg

I get the error if I try to load a different map that is not in the same project. So to fix it I went to the Project Manager, clicked on the project I wanted ex(MyGame - AI And Events) and loaded it. Then I could load the map without this error. Maybe that is your problem.

One of the last things the editor does when saving files is it writes the position of various data chunks to the beginning of the file. If the editor crashed during saving, it makes perfect sense that those values would be zero.

I am changing it so the editor will write to a temp file and then rename it when finished. This will prevent maps from getting corrupted in the event of a crash during saving...which ideally shouldn't happen, but until I have a reproducable error it's going to be very hard to track down. I suspect the editor is requesting some bit of info from the engine that is missing. It will be super easy to fix but first I need to produce it myself so I can run the debugger on it.

The same error happened to me. I just created a new project in the latest stable version, in a non-saved map I created a camera and this error showed up and editor crashed. Tried it a second time, didn't occur again.

Thanks. This is news to me, but I am on it now...

• Upvote 1

@Josh: Here are my backup files. The last save date on the back-ups appear to be 2/2/2014 (maybe because I turned off auto-saving for my second project attempt), and will most likely be relevant to the "start.map" file (which is of a different project than the ship1.map file).

I hope this helps!

-Jeff

Backup.zip

SH_Banner_467x83.jpg

There is one thing that could possibly be a problem, but I'm not sure it's related.

If I create a new project and then load the AI and Events map, I was getting a crash in the print hook. I figured out this was caused because the program just ran a long time without calling the garbage collector, and this map will print out a ton of error messages if you try to load it with all the media missing. So I just inserted a garbage collection call in the map load and save routines, for each object, and the problem went away.

Not sure if that's related, but it could potentially cause seemingly random errors like we are seeing.