Lightmapping back ?

YouGroove

Could it be to have Lightmapping back for level stuff ?

It is not dependent on OpenGL4 as this is just lightmaps ?

The best would be able to import lightmaps and lights also from Blender.

It is planned for Blender Kickstarter feature ?

Actually hard code shadow GPU is good for basic shadowing on dynamic object, but the result is far from imported quality lightmaps with all features lightening they embed.

• Upvote 1

Stop toying and make games

Could it be to have Lightmapping back for level stuff ?

It is not dependent on OpenGL4 as this is just lightmaps ?

The best would be able to import lightmaps and lights also from Blender.

It is planned for Blender Kickstarter feature ?

Actually hard code shadow GPU is good for basic shadowing on dynamic object, but the result is far from imported quality lightmaps with all features lightening they embed.

Agreed. Please bring back the integrated light mapper. Since LE3 had it already I doubt it requires too much work.

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

Josh is against anything that needs to be pre-calculated like lightmapping.

Read through this post: http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/8518-shadow-bug/

Josh (paraphrased) replied - "just live with it". Pre-calculated lighting (whether he likes it or not) saves a lot of headaches such as in the post above.

Josh is against anything that needs to be pre-calculated like lightmapping.

Before stating that ,Ddo you have made a real game with LE3 ?

i have one with some 7 FPS max when there is 7 lights only in the scene and it causes physics to go crazy.

Why UDK, Unity etc ... proposes a Lightmap tool (like Beast Lightmapping) and possibility to import your lightmaps ? I think 3D artists asks that.

Josh (paraphrased) replied - "just live with it". Pre-calculated lighting (whether he likes it or not) saves a lot of headaches such as in the post above.

Yes, unfortunatelly, LE 3.0 was awesome without such performance drop now we use dynamic shadows only.

Only dynamic shadows will never look as great as good Ligtmapping.

Industry example of optimisation instead of Brute real time :

WhatIfGaming: Please describe in detail how your global illumination structure works in regards to light probes. How is everything precomputed, how is radiance transfer done?

The Ubisoft Team: Our global illumination solution is based on the technique used on Far Cry 3 – Deferred Radiance Transfer Volumes. Due to differences in the game structure and different requirements we have developed a new algorithm – instead of storing precomputed radiance transfer, we stored irradiance information – in similar manner to light-mapping techniques. However, storing direct irradiance would be impossible due to dynamically changing lighting, weather and time of day, so we precomputed “normalized” information instead. Based on this information, we are able to reconstruct the final irradiance every frame in the runtime. Also both offline baking process and final memory storage used on all platforms were changed and optimized. All of those changes result in higher effect quality and more temporal and spatial resolution of indirect lighting data. We have plans to publish and present some more details on the developed global illumination technique in the future.

I think the original idea was to hve optional lighting so the game playr old chooe according to the capability of their hardware setup. Maybe itwill come.

That would make a lot of sense, after all I don't think mobile devices will be capable of handling real time shadows if it makes a decent computer crawl.

@DudeAwesome :

Hummm , try making a small game with shaders, some few lights, low poly assets also.

Came back and tell me your Frame rate then.

Actally shadows display at some distance in Leadwerks 3, more distant shadow = more frame rate drop.

shadows.jpg

Good Lightmapping will always look better than brute hardware shadows specially lightmapping using Global illumination.

---------------

I tried a lot to optimize the small game, no way, frame rate stays under 25 FPS in debug mode.

The day you'll plan distributing some "small' game i think you will put more attention on how it runs even on laptop running AAA games and that cannot go over some 30 FPS with Leadwerks 3.

Im working on a 3rd person game and dont have this FPS Drops even with 40+ models (from fuse 14k polys) + textures and lights/shadows. Also with AAA characters/animations no problem. I have no highend pc and a mobile GPU (iMac) and everything is fine. If you have hard FPS drops optimize code and analyse in realtime

It doesn´t work... why? mhmmm It works... why?

If you have hard FPS drops optimize code and analyse in realtime

It's the simples Lua code you could make , nothing complicated.

Can you share some small demo part of your game please ?

(Some exe to download) I would be curious to test some demo you made to see by myself.

I'm curious if you use Developper material or real texture bitmap lot more complex than simple blue or yellow colors textures ? This will impact also performance.

------------------

Anyway one solution for my game now is just a more Top Down view to limit number of shadows/shaders visible at same time.

@DudeAwesome :

Lightmapping is just perfect for indoor FPS Leadwerks 3.1 demo and for small/medium 3D scenes.

Why some big engines would still support it ?

Does this test i made with lightmapping looks so ugly compared to full black dynamic shadows sleep.png ?

litmap.jpg

Using so much GPU power in static or dynamic hardware shadows for STATIC models ....

3D lightmaps would be a best way..your character/dynamic object could be shaded/shadowed by static geometry (lightmapped) on the same way real time lights works..incredibly fast and visually, no real time light solution could beat up prerendered GI lightmaps. But you have to have, non movable lights on lightmapped geometry..

• Upvote 1

@Rick :

Unless you make some realistic or another outdoor terrain game, it depends, for example for my arcade game, i just use different maps each using it's own "Fixed" day or night lightening. So lightmap would has saved lot of frame rate.

Why should all people make dynamic day/light ?

Lightmapping is still good and perfect if your game don't use dynamic light change on static level.

@Naughty Alien :

Yep , i'm in the case where levels lightening won't change, lightmapping or some pre baked solution would help frame rate.

I don't know if Lightmapping oculd be put back from 3.0 ?

Or at least let us import our own quality lightmaps ?

• Upvote 1