Implement virtual filesystem?

Guppy

Once the c++ version comes out would it be possible to use something like PhysicsFS in your game?

Or rather is there currently a file system abstraction I can replace so I can make Leadwerks built in model/texture/sound loading use the virtual file system?

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

Leadwerks 2 we had the possibility for using abstract commands. e.g.

Model myModel = Abstract("Mymodel.mdl");

It would return the first find in the assets based on the given search parameter.

I don't know if Josh has plans to bring this back in to the current version.

It's a bit more low level that that - I want to intercept the open/close/read file commands inside loadXXXX('.....');

as I'd rather not have to rewrite all the loading & importing functions :)

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

• 1 month later...

Bumping this hoping for an answer in time for the c++ release ;)

Bascially what I want is to create a class VirtualFileSystem:FileSystem

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/documentation/_/command-reference/filesystem/

And then force leadwerks to use that instead

System:

Our file system actually can read zip archives and treats them as a file system. This is how games are deployed. It's an unofficial feature, but you just call Package::Load( zipname ) and it automatically creates a virtual file system the file read commands work with,

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Passwords are supported:

Package* Package::Load(const std::string& path, const std::string& password, const bool regist=true)

The last parameter registers it as a virtual file system the file commands automatically load files from.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

There are ways. Since I am planning to build this into the publishing step, I haven't bothered making this an officlal feature yet..it's just going to be replaced with something that's automatic.

well IF you are only protecting the data you don't need to store the password.

only thing you need to do is jumble the bit code and if wrong password is presentated you get jumbeled data.

if you present right password you get data back in the correct order.

but giving wrong passwords you could get anything from beautifull picture to beautifull song to just jumbeled data most of the times, ... would kinda be easyer to make stuff your self than doing it with force password breaker.

Learn to obey

before you command

when you see very good tactic

sit back and think again.

Basics prince Zuko.

Basics are your greatest strength.

You could always compile the lua code to byte code. Also you can have the password in a dll/lib and use luajit to load it. There are ways to obfuscate code in lua. It will stop the casual hacker. A determined hacker will get regardless. Plus it gives people a simple way to distribute dlc/download packs outside of steam, Ie:desura and distribute a key for the zip.

• 4 months later...

Just wandering as a major missing feature in LE3 is project publishing with encryption, as actually in LE3 Steam edition the project code and all ressources are entirely visible when published.

As LE3 already contains the commands , could not it be possible to include the Zip and encryption in the publish button action ?

Stop toying and make games

Just wandering as a major missing feature in LE3 is project publishing with encryption

I am planning to build this into the publishing step

I would highly appreciate it if this feature will be implemented in one of the next releases.

BTW: It would be nice if we had a list of planned features were the community can vote for each planned feature. Something like that which epic offers their UE4 community on https://trello.com/b/gHooNW9I/ue4-roadmap . With this tool devolopers could share priority management with the community. It would be a win-win solution for everyone.