Oculus Rift Support?

TheMatador

I'll be honest I really don't see the Oculus Rift hitting it off like everyone else thinks it will. This is just my honest opinion and maybe I'm completely wrong. I just don't feel gamers are ready to put this thing on their head and play for long periods of time without getting a head ache (or their neck hurting from moving it) that seems to plague using it. I'd give it 2 more years and if they can get the size of the unit to a google glass size I could see it working....

I'll be honest I really don't see the Oculus Rift hitting it off like everyone else thinks it will. This is just my honest opinion and maybe I'm completely wrong. I just don't feel gamers are ready to put this thing on their head and play for long periods of time without getting a head ache (or their neck hurting from moving it) that seems to plague using it. I'd give it 2 more years and if they can get the size of the unit to a google glass size I could see it working....

They said the exact same thing about mouse around when it was invented :)

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

Abrash at Valve has some special VR stuff of his own that's even better than the rift. wink.png

I'm optimistic about VR. We'll leave it at that for now.

Oooohhhh, now this sounds interesting. Being an owner of the Oculus Rift dev kit I love VR, after experiencing some amazing games with the Oculus (mostly made in Unity) I do believe its the future of gaming biggrin.png

• Upvote 1

Do you think LE2 could be made to work with it? I keep getting asked about it. As far as I'm aware you need to render the scene for each eye which I think might be expensive to do in a heavy outdoor scene with post effects.

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo

I think Leadwerks 2 (and 3) would actually scale pretty well there, because the rendering bottleneck is in the number of pixels. So rendering two views across a smaller area results in the same number of pixels being shaded and processed. The major trick would be to only render the directional light shadows once, and expand the view frustum slightly to encompass both view volumes.

You don't HAVE to render both eyes if you don't want stereo 3D--you could just render the scene and post FX to a texture and display that in two side by side viewports (I haven't tried this implementation myself yet, but I've heard it works).

What I was planning to do with Rogue System was offer an option for "Simple" or "Advanced" -- simple being non-3D (which SHOULD be lighter on FPS) and advanced being true 3D.

Also, don't forget that the post effect you run for the Oculus to correct display distortion also trims a lot of unneeded pixels away that are outside of the view, so that helps FPS a bit from what I understand...

All that said though, there are cool things you can do when rendering for both eyes, such as having a specific UI for each eye (didn't the earlier Apache have a left-eye targeting display, or am I thinking of a different aircraft?)...

--"There is no spoon"

I wouldn't do it without the stereoscopic view.

You know what, using geometry shaders we could easily do both views in a single pass. It's not like the vertex pipeline is going to be a bottleneck, so in that case it would cost nothing.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I wouldn't do it without the stereoscopic view.

It's not the preferred method, no--seems a waste of potential not to use stereoscopic. It is a valid option though as it does save a few FPS, and stereoscopic has been known to cause headaches and/or nauseousness for some people (but then, just USING the Rift can do the same thing, too).

It'd be fantastic if we could get both views to render in one pass, yes smile.png

--"There is no spoon"

It'd be fantastic if we could get both views to render in one pass, yes smile.png

Yes, I am pretty sure I can do that. That idea kind of changes the way I think about rendering, and I love it.
  • Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• 1 month later...

i will pay extra for preorder of a oculus rift plug-in or extension or how ever you want to package and price it. i am trying to stay 100% linux and leadwerks is my first choice, 2nd choice is jmonkey which has unofficial support for the oculus rift. is there any chance you could open up a donoation account for oculus rift support? since unity has given up on linux and valve source engine is way behind leadwerks, i am ready to donate $200-$400 for official oculus support. (i only gave $50 for the kickstarter for linux). or at least a "gift josh an oculus rift DK2" fund?

There's a lot of things I want to do this year. My first concern is to expand the team so I'm not the bottleneck on everything, but that will take a few months.

Funny that for DK2 they went to the old tried and tested technology that TrackIR uses for head-tracking. Another unit to stick on top of the monitor.

The guys from TESTED dot com gave their impressions of the unit and the demos they'd seen.

I think there's a space for small indie games and apps here. Looks like everyone else is kicking back and waiting to see what happens. There was even a Blitzmax demo for DK1 kicking around. Now they've got the translational movement drift issue sorted it might be worth looking at again. I can see it being as useful as TrackIR, something that you keep around for those few occasions when you use it as when you do it enhances an already good experience. But it you're using just for the experience of VR, it's going to get tired quickly.

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo

Well actually if you give me a clasic mouse my arm starts to hurt and I start to get angry on the clasic mouse after few minutes.

what I use is trackball mouse - we call it just mouse, ....

but what the heck I'm moving my mouse with my thumb.

muscles get's adjusted and mind get's used to the thing, ... no big deal, ...

but only shifting to less efficient -> no thanks, ...

and that's more efficient in my opinion

Learn to obey

before you command

when you see very good tactic

sit back and think again.

Basics prince Zuko.

Basics are your greatest strength.

MilitaryG :

I use mainly pain table for everything laugh.png , moving to a menu ,selecting something etc ... is fast and not comparable to mouse.

VR is just to play mainly, some systems are coming, you hold a weapon and where you move it in space and point it , is wher it goes, you will do things you can't do wih a mouse : shoot anywhere , any direction around you in the game smile.png, where you point your weapon is where it will point in game, like direct shoot behind without looking behind or shoot in the sides while keeping runnning and looking forward.

I owned a WII , and i can say , it brought a bigger level of immersion than joystick or mouse to have some motion detection system for soem games like Red Steel 2 . It was far very from perfect indeed, but brought another sensation very different from static input systems.

VR can be good for FPS view styles, if you can play long enought without having a headhache or feeling tired laugh.png

Stop toying and make games