Scalability of Leadwerks 3

Marcus

The octree system was specially designed to handle large maps with high numbers of entities spread over a far range. You will encounter bottlenecks at some point, but it is generally designed to be scalable as long as you don't pack too much in one small area. Typically the constraint you need to keep an eye on is the number of point light shadows being rendered. Marking objects as "static" and "dynamic" and using double-buffered shadows can help optimize this.

• Upvote 1

I'm curious if there is confidence that it is capable of full, large-scale projects. I just don't want things to break down when I have AI, events, and a detailed map.

What do you mean by large scale ? some example screenshot of map please ?

Leadwerks 3.1 don't have lights activate/deactivate based on distance, or shadows activation/deactivation or LOD , it will be to you to manage that.

The better is that you take the Leadwerks 3.1 FPS demo, than modify it to make some map similat as what you want to achieve and test yourself, that's the better way to not be disappointed.

Does Leadwerks 3.1 have Octree system, i seen no parameters ? It's not on features list ?

Stop toying and make games

The octree is automatic and built-in:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/graphics?showbanner=0

The whole system was designed around the big forest map and the Zone concept scene. Basically it means all the systems are designed so that if something is happening off-screen or far away, it has no impact on rendering performance. You can keep making the map bigger and more complex, without it slowing down. For example, a non-scalable engine would simply loop through a list of all entities in the scene, every frame. Leadwerks never does that.

Of course there's a practical limit to number of characters onscreen, number of lights being updated, etc., but if you keep those under control you can have very large scenes. I think there are additional optimizations that can be made for the shadow redrawing and character physics, but the most important thing is that the engine is designed in a scalable manner.

• Upvote 2

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I can't comment so much on the rendering aspect, but this week I was doing some profiling for the Wings project and I was able to get about 20 animated characters on screen, all with real time AI, perceptions, full physics, navigation, etc. at around 70 FPS on my laptop (nVidia 620m).

This was an encouraging result for me, since we haven't even begun to profile in detail or really optimize. I haven't tried to push it to the upper limit.