Leadwerks "opengame" project?

Guppy

Indie Devs are taking more and more place, not only 3D , in 2D games also. Microsoft announced a bunch of indie games coming to Xbox, same for PS4 and Sony now gives gamemaker to accredited developpers also.

UDK is just facing Unity monthly subscription in the indie devs field.

I don't know if putting some open source LE3 features would really benefit ? something to try in a small area first like particle system first or interface ? Why not ? Would people really work and make great stuff ?

What i would like would be LE3 to have modern customizable interface, well an idea for some LE5 version perhaps :

Yes you can't compare one guy engine and thousands people engine, like LE3 and UDK.

But it's surprising how LE3 and UDK have good similarities like BSP or Flowgraph and Blueprints, not the same level but same way of working.

The day LE3 will be lot more complete and solid , why putting a strong price like 800-1000$ , and proposing a subscription for people prefering that forumla ?

I remember 3D Gamestudio selling their Pro version at some 800$, even on last years,... fewww this was so big amount of money for what it was, but they were people buying it ... when you liek a product , you can put lot of money.

LE3 will first need additionnal tools and features : TimeLine system, State Flowgraph for animations, Animation names , profiling performance tool , open editor etc ...

Stop toying and make games

As for competitors stealing the source code, UDK4 has full sourcecode on git hub for $10 - so clearly that's one company that thinks the potential feed back outweighs the risk of theft

It's also a company that has the resources to fight anyone in court who tries to steal their code. Leadwerks is a 1 man company who cannot afford to deal with that.

As for the whole "omg the software I'm using is dying" - that's the beauty of opensource, you can simply buckle up and maintain it your self ( or use money to make somebody else interested in doing it ).

I already discussed this. The majority using game engines don't want to "buckle up" and maintain it themselves. This is why they used a library/engine instead of writing their own in the first place. Also, I'd love to see how long the person who didn't create it maintains it before they lose interest or their project is finished and they don't need it anymore so they drop it. Not saying it can't be done but without the money motivation it's a lot harder.

and yes you can make money off of opensource, there are plenty of companies doing this - hell my dayjob is working for such a company

I didn't say that you couldn't.

A plugin system to the editor will do just fine. There is no need for LE to be open source. However, I feel with the Linux release this is going to be brought up more and more by the Linux users. They are almost like bullies ;)

• Upvote 1

It's also a company that has the resources to fight anyone in court who tries to steal their code. Leadwerks is a 1 man company who cannot afford to deal with that.

This is not the problem of stealing code, and i don't think someone that would publish a game with stolen code could argue a lot against engine rights without no license laugh.png .

It seems UDK open it , caus there is big growing indie market, with BluePrints in UDK now, they open it yo 3D artists even more on the programming side.

Giving source will allow people to see coming extensions like all Unity plugin systems, perhaps some UDK store i think ... we'll see.

Indie domain and mobile are big growing market ...UDK or Cryteck are aware of that.

A plugin system to the editor will do just fine. There is no need for LE to be open source. However, I feel with the Linux release this is going to be brought up more and more by the Linux users. They are almost like bullies

Open Source could take the Torque 3D Road .... i don't believe in that way for a 3D engine.

And open source means for LE3 no more money income, no more licenses selling, you would have thousands of potential users, just using it, without paying anything.

Another way could be monthly subscription like UDK, Crysis .... the day LE3 got a big price and complete features.

Actually It takes too much time to see coming CSG Tools and other basic things we ask from a year , it's too long for one person making an engine, LE3 engine will need to have community bringing tools and features( animation tools,better particle system etc ...).

Would be better to have LE3 core and optimisation remain LE3 main work ,and have around advanced plugin system for missing features and tools.

Stop toying and make games

A plugin system to the editor will do just fine. There is no need for LE to be open source.

This, very much this. Though I'd also like to somehow be able to extend the built in classes either by replacing them entirely or some kind of hook system.

However, I feel with the Linux release this is going to be brought up more and more by the Linux users. They are almost like bullies wink.png

Not all of us are unwashed religious nut jobs like stallman! tongue.png

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

A plugin system to the editor will do just fine. There is no need for LE to be open source. However, I feel with the Linux release this is going to be brought up more and more by the Linux users. They are almost like bullies wink.png

I think we are more like bullies for please make an Editor for Linux.

than please make it opensource.

I've seen countless times perswasions for something to get on Linux.

and i've never saw a perswasion on please make it open source.

but I did saw counter arguments that includes suggestion for opensource. Till now I've never saw Perswasion for it.

dang where is the spellchecker there are some words I never know how to write, ...

Learn to obey

before you command

when you see very good tactic

sit back and think again.

Basics prince Zuko.

Basics are your greatest strength.