Tree models

cassius

Also, if you use Maya there is a built in feature to help with that, or there are alternative external plugins that work really well with it to help make trees similar to these that have been linked above but of course it would be easier to use and manage if you already know your 3d package.

If you don;t use Maya, Blender has pretty much the same plugins and scripts from the community for similar things :P

Cassius,

Look into branch tab in sub-division, maybe there are too many branches, Uncheck Cross Horiz. geometry and uncheck cross vert. geometry if you do not need them.

Also look for both trunk sub division.

Intel Xeon E5-1600, AMD R9 280 or AMD Firepro V7900, Samsung 2*32 gigs PC1600 ECC, Samsung 256 gig SDD 840

Cassius,

Tree may seem high in polycount indeed but I do not believe in polygon shrinker, I always had issues somehow where quads become tris here and there, or deformation is such that the model did not remotely look like the original.

Try and see, I hope you get better result.

Though this is not the last step you can use.

You can also go dirty, open the model somehow in a 3D application, look at the mesh model and look at the faces and edges in UV editor, then cut faces or edges and reform where it is convenient to you.

Also you can do some retopology, it is not a traditional method per se on low polygonal mesh but hey who says there is a rule to anything smile.png

3D coat is pretty good for retopo, I prefer to 3D coat to Maya 2012 or Max 2012 for example.

Rastar,

Yes I just found Forester yesterday, it is affordable. They have 3 types of license, though the reason why I did not purchase right away is with license aggrement page that I need to re-read again, I was in a hurry and flew over license agreement. it sounded quite strange whereas no matter what happens, assets are foresters property (I hope I am completely wrong and misunderstood everything).

Intel Xeon E5-1600, AMD R9 280 or AMD Firepro V7900, Samsung 2*32 gigs PC1600 ECC, Samsung 256 gig SDD 840

Yoy should be OK here. The license conditions state that

a) You need a Pro version (regardless if it's Indie Solo/Enterprise or Enterprise) to use the models and textures shipped with the product (and asset packs) commercially.

B) Everything you do with FP is your own IP.

At least that's the way I understood it :)