Version 3.1 Delivery Plans, with Steam key option

Admin

Leadwerks 3.1 is shipping soon. The standalone version of Leadwerks 3.1 uses the same update system previous versions used.

Steam Key Option

If you pre-ordered Leadwerks 3.1 you have the option to have a Steam key sent to your email, instead of the old-style registration key. Please send an email requesting this, from the email address you used to order. You will be sent a Steam key for Leadwerks Game Engine: Standard Edition. Once these are entered into your account on Steam, you will not need to store them anywhere.

Leadwerks 3.1 on Steam is the same as the standalone, but provides access to the Steam Workshop when it launches. It also gives you the ability to publish images and videos straight to Steam and Leadwerks.com, use Valve's Steam Controller, and may include additional features in the future.

I preordered, is it possible to have both?

OLD style and steam?

Asking because I might want to use workshop in future, but I'm no fan of steam.

So that if I desire to install LE I might install it over steam or without steam.

OFC it will happen that I'll install LE more than just once.

1. Windows so that I translate my Unity projects to LE.

2. Linux.

and if I'll want to change the distribution or hardware or whatever I'll install it 3 or more times.

• Upvote 1

Learn to obey

before you command

when you see very good tactic

sit back and think again.

Basics prince Zuko.

Basics are your greatest strength.

If we have 3.1 indie will we have an option to upgrade over steam?

Yes, a DLC will be available on Steam soon.

I preordered, is it possible to have both?

OLD style and steam?

Asking because I might want to use workshop in future, but I'm no fan of steam.

So that if I desire to install LE I might install it over steam or without steam.

OFC it will happen that I'll install LE more than just once.

1. Windows so that I translate my Unity projects to LE.

2. Linux.

and if I'll want to change the distribution or hardware or whatever I'll install it 3 or more times.

For now I ask that you pick one or the other. Either way, you can install Leadwerks on a Windows and Linux machine simultaneously.

I think people will want to know how support and updates will work for each version. Will they be 100% indistinguishable? If one updates, will the other update the same day? When 3.2 comes out, will they both update at the same time? Do you need to create/update/compile them separately? Is there any risk of the standalone being discontinued like Android/iOS was because you'll be doing more work with Steam?

Before a pay for update is issued all major bugs should be fixed in previous version , like the prefab bug in le 3.0.

Some people may be staying with 3.0 and may n eed prefabs. I will be buying 3.1 bu not just to get a bug fix.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

Before a pay for update is issued all major bugs should be fixed in previous version , like the prefab bug in le 3.0.

Some people may be staying with 3.0 and may n eed prefabs. I will be buying 3.1 bu not just to get a bug fix.

I think Josh will start something on bug fixing, ...

I think he invested loads of time for Linux editor I read that he was working on LE alone till today and I read that he's next step is to hire few people.

Witch means more hands - also means more bug solving.

I don't think it's just the features I think it's also stable system that matters most and above all platforms on witch you can make and publish.

Learn to obey

before you command

Basics prince Zuko.

For now I ask that you pick one or the other. Either way, you can install Leadwerks on a Windows and Linux machine simultaneously.

ah well I guess I'll have to buy 2 LE 3.1 to get it as I desire, ...

Anyway it won't cost me much as I have a plan to give josh another 150€ if the Engine really is gr8 as I've read.

and another 150€ next year even if I won't need the features that were created.

but I give my self a target that at least 500$ and max 1.5k$ I would spend to support Good Linux Engine Editor.

why max 1.5k$? - because I was ready to spend 1.5k to support unity 3D engine if they port it to Linux, but they will never see my money.

I think my budget to josh is pretty much very high as I'm an indie dev.

ALSO If my games will get reputation and I'll get money I might support this engine pretty much allot more than today. because I'll have budget witch I'll be able to spend.

Learn to obey

before you command

Basics prince Zuko.

Yes, a DLC will be available on Steam soon.

Thanks for the information. I will stick with a non-steam version. Later if I need it then I will just buy another license for the additional Steam features to stay in the loop, I will make Windows 8 suck it up and install steam but keep my Linux baby to myself... wink.png

• Upvote 1

Having to choose one of them ain't what I was hoping for. Why not just allow both?

as Admin said "for now" well that's for now and probably in future there will be optional steam key or LE key.

Learn to obey

before you command

Basics prince Zuko.

as Admin said "for now" well that's for now and probably in future there will be optional steam key or LE key.

'Probably' doesn't really make it easy to make a choice. Seeing there's no guaranteed access to both locations (standalone & Steam) for the future.

Which means: We really need some more information what the difference between those two version is before we can state our preference. To me the most important questions are

- What are the supported publishing paths for the two editions?

- will there be any differences feature-wise (apart from the obvious tighter integration with the Steam workshop)?

- differences in release cycle (e.g. always Steam first, stand-alone next)?

I prefer Steam distribution, but also realize I can't force people into it.

In addition to my above questions: will the Steam version always have the option to publish to a Steam-independent package? In other words, will your creations ever require Steam to run?

You will never be required to publish through Steam. The Steam DLL has to be included because it is statically linked into the build, but Valve employees told me it is okay to distribute this on non-Steam channels, and just don't initialize Steamworks. If that ever changes I will provide a build that does not use the DLL.

Steamworks features you make use of do require publishing through Steam, or turn them off in your standalone build.

- will there be any differences feature-wise (apart from the obvious tighter integration with the Steam workshop)?

The Steam build has access to the Workshop (now in testing), screenshot and video publishing, easy deployment to SteamOS, and there are other Steamworks features I plan to expose. For example they have a networking API that just allows you to pass data between Steam IDs, instead of dealing with NAT punch-through and all that stuff.

- differences in release cycle (e.g. always Steam first, stand-alone next)?

The beta branch on Steam will get the most frequent updates. The default branch will be updated at the same time the Leadwerks.com standalone version is.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I personally dislike the idea of steam-only edition. Josh is putting too much trust into Valve/Steam. Rightly so they are a great bunch but then again never put all of your eggs in one basket. I feel a bit penalised now as I wont be able to get the latest updates asap due to personal preference of avoiding steam. Not great, not great, although I'm still grateful for a proper standalone release even if it's a bit behind.

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

What I can do is just remove your reg key from my server and give you a Steam key whenever it's requested. I'd like to funnel people into Steam because it's just more efficient, but I understand some people will be wary of making that a requirement. So don't feel like you're in a rush if you're not sure.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.