Blender Plugins

Josh

I understand that Blender export plugins are written in Python. Can Python call functions from C code or from a DLL? The easier way to get this done would be to make a reusable model library for building animated models with commands and then saving the results to a model file.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

The choice is yours (i don't know what is best) :

Ctype, Boost.python, SWIG, Pyrex, Cython

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/145270/calling-c-c-from-python

Official doc :

https://docs.python.org/2/extending/extending.html#providing-a-c-api-for-an-extension-module

Perhaps Linux programmers know more ?

The easier way to get this done would be to make a reusable model library for building animated models with commands and then saving the results to a model file.

What means re usable model library ? like Fuse product or MakeHuman ? Or does it means export Blender animated model to FBX with command line ?

Stop toying and make games

I mean a DLL or C code that has commands like CreateBone(), AddVertex(), etc., so you can use those commands to export the data into a model file, without worrying about the actual file format. It makes things much easier.

• Upvote 2

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I mean a DLL or C code that has commands like CreateBone(), AddVertex(), etc., so you can use those commands to export the data into a model file, without worrying about the actual file format. It makes things much easier.

A DLL-lib would be really nice. This way we can use any language or application to export LE models. Great idea!

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

I don't see the utility to do that ? Perhaps if LE3 had full CSG tools and non modeler people would need to export for external programs work ?

Josh promised to work on full CSG toolset in the near future. So fingers crossed, we are destined to see some of that 3DWS CSG goodness once again.

• Upvote 1

Intel Core i7 Quad 2.3 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Windows 10 (x64)

Why not add a .blend importer to the engine instead? If blend files were converted to mdls by the editor automatically it would save the blender artists a ton of headache.

mmm... imagine hitting save and instantly seeing the changes in the editor .

Only thing is that it would still need to convert the model when finishing the project iirc .blend files contains alot of "fluf"

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

I would suggest Assimp, http://assimp.sourceforge.net/main_features.html its BSD licensed and can convert alot of formats. The downside is it doesn't convert to any formats that Leadwerks uses. Also I don't know how it treats animated models, if at all. Josh released the gmf/mdl SDK someone who understands both code bases (not me, I'm not that bright) can add a Leadwerks export to assimp, or port the unwrap 3d plugin to assimp.

• Upvote 1