Rastar

Shifting focus

I will stick with Leadwerks as long as the windows platform is developed alongside and at the same pace as Linux

This also has a lot to do with the promotion. For example, starting next week Linux will be the first thing you see on the front page.

This also has a lot to do with the promotion. For example, starting next week Linux will be the first thing you see on the front page.

This is BIG news BIG news indeed.

I guess world has to start crumbling under your feet now.

I think at least 20% feel like me I'd rather buy software and go to linux for good than stay on windows and use free Unity 3D.

and I mean even 20% is allot.

The thing with Leadwerks for Linux is that the demand for that feature was fiscally 100% clear before it was even implemented because of the Kickstarter campaign. No chasing the latest hype and hoping that the "we want this feature" lip service actually translates to sales after you have put in time and money but cold, hard cash in advance and then you get to do your work.

That just doesn't happen under normal circumstances. Compared to mobile, which for all intents and purposes looked like the next big thing and then turned out to not be worth it this probably is a nice change of pace.

It's also a bit silly to distort the message about the change of focus. It was crystal clear that this meant PC in general (Windows, OS X and Linux) and not just Linux über alles. The Steam launch was Windows first and only for both the Indie and Standard Editions, every new feature in the engine is platform agnostic, no exclusives. Heck, even the Blender plug-in that is still to come is the direct result of the Linux Kickstarter but will be useful on all platforms and so were most of the other proposed stretch goals.

The penguins are not taking your toys away! I repeat: The penguins are not taking your toys away! In fact, they are bringing new ones to the party. The PC party.

This is BIG news BIG news indeed.

I guess world has to start crumbling under your feet now.

I think at least 20% feel like me I'd rather buy software and go to linux for good than stay on windows and use free Unity 3D.

and I mean even 20% is allot.

I don't understand what you are saying. Is that a good or bad thing?

Since the goals of Linux and the rest of the PC/Mac ecosystem are largely overlapping, I don't see this as something that detracts from the PC at all.

[/font][/color]

I don't understand what you are saying. Is that a good or bad thing?

Since the goals of Linux and the rest of the PC/Mac ecosystem are largely overlapping, I don't see this as something that detracts from the PC at all.

Well josh I can see with this steps you made that you are going to become 1 of the most successful persons on planet, now you decide is that good or bad, ...

I don't like saying hey that's good or hey that's bad, ...

I kinda don't even understand if something is good or bad most of the time, ...

everything is good and so everything is bad I don't know what to chose so I chose way of thinking not good nor bad, ...

I hope I did made my self understandable, ...

I know I'm complicated human being, ...

Well josh I can see with this steps you made that you are going to become 1 of the most successful persons on planet, now you decide is that good or bad, ...

Sarcasm.jpg

I really never can tell with his posts

Honestly I agree with Rastar and I think the exact opposite to what Josh says about "Linux didn't detract time to PC/Mac", the only reason I upgraded my license to 3.0 was really because it supported OSX (my system from about 3 years now) besides Windows and when KS started (7 months after 3.0 release) I just had 0 or 1-2 updates (every day for months I clicked "Update" on LeadwersUpdater but the response is ever "0 files to update"). I felt like having received very few updates on 3.0 (updates=bug fixing, besides the terrain that is still missing important features like vegetation so it's mostly unusable for me) and when LE started its KS campaign for Linux its optimization and bug fixes were just stopped (despite the fact that we were ever told "the magic is an agnostic internal API", though it seems that it's not real for bug fixing) and all the effort was thrown to Linux editor.

Yeah I know that 787 backers paid 42k$ but it shouldn't be my problem because I paid for a release that was just dropped too early and forgiven in a closet (but the 3.0 users were still waiting at least for bug fixing since it was clear that we wouldn't have new features because of the new 3.1 incoming). So you cannot say that Linux didn't (or don't) detract time, because it did really (you know all the time you spent to fix the silly UI-events you encountered on Linux, and we know as well since we read your constant KS&blog updates). So I just uninstalled LE at all.

Now there's also the new fashion of SteamOS besides again Linux, this is definitely not something I'm interested in for my (and my clients) projects, that's why I didn't upgrade to 3.1 and neither I have any intention to do accordingly to the current route, and of course my problem is not the money to upgrade (since I spend more than 10x every 2-3 years for another that I'm fully happy with because it allows me to really speed up my jobs and uses the programming language that I love) but this kind of changing time by time.

Though I'm continuing to come around here few days per week to see what happens next and discuss with my fellows over there, I'll wait eventually for 3.2 roadmap and features list in order to return back to LE.

Honestly I agree with Rastar and I think the exact opposite to what Josh says about "Linux didn't detract time to PC/Mac", the only reason I upgraded my license to 3.0 was really because it supported OSX (my system from about 3 years now) besides Windows and when KS started (7 months after 3.0 release) I just had 0 or 1-2 updates (every day for months I clicked "Update" on LeadwersUpdater but the response is ever "0 files to update"). I felt like having received very few updates on 3.0 (updates=bug fixing, besides the terrain that is still missing important features like vegetation so it's mostly unusable for me) and when LE started its KS campaign for Linux its optimization and bug fixes were just stopped (despite the fact that we were ever told "the magic is an agnostic internal API", though it seems that it's not real for bug fixing) and all the effort was thrown to Linux editor.

Yeah I know that 787 backers paid 42k$ but it shouldn't be my problem because I paid for a release that was just dropped too early and forgiven in a closet (but the 3.0 users were still waiting at least for bug fixing since it was clear that we wouldn't have new features because of the new 3.1 incoming). So you cannot say that Linux didn't (or don't) detract time, because it did really (you know all the time you spent to fix the silly UI-events you encountered on Linux, and we know as well since we read your constant KS&blog updates). So I just uninstalled LE at all.

Now there's also the new fashion of SteamOS besides again Linux, this is definitely not something I'm interested in for my (and my clients) projects, that's why I didn't upgrade to 3.1 and neither I have any intention to do accordingly to the current route, and of course my problem is not the money to upgrade (since I spend more than 10x every 2-3 years for another that I'm fully happy with because it allows me to really speed up my jobs and uses the programming language that I love) but this kind of changing time by time.

Though I'm continuing to come around here few days per week to see what happens next and discuss with my fellows over there, I'll wait eventually for 3.2 roadmap and features list in order to return back to LE.

I do understand your feelings but what I don't understand is why are you going away from LE forever? If something doesn't change in LE?

AFAIK you never had so many features in the beginning when you started using LE but you were still using it.

this is something I can't understand, ...

uninstalling LE just because of that?

I still use my previous Engine that I used to use allot, ...

Also if something new is not what you would like you don't need to support it, ... - buy it.

You can still use old versions.

I decide what engine I will use is for what it is, ... not for what it will be.

This Pre-Order was an exception but still, ...

"I'll wait eventually for 3.2 roadmap and features list in order to return back to LE" does not mean "forever", it means exactly what it's written: "will wait for 3.2" to see what will happen there. I'm only skipping 3.1 because I don't need the current features (and I'm not interested neither in Linux at all nor in Steam). And uninstalled LE 3.0 because it hasn't all the features I need to accomplish my jobs for clients (I'm not hobbyist, I'm a freelancer so I need a full set of stuff to speed up both prototyping and production to be able to do more jobs in lesser time), besides the bugs not being fixed any more there.

You are here from very few time, so how do you know how much features I was used to have in LE? If you take a look at my user profile you'll notice that I'm here since 2010, we had LE 2.3 there (it was my very first engine I ever used, and I chose it because I could learn C++ until we released a .NET wrapper, maintained first by Lazlo and later by Roland, klepto and me) and it had almost all the features that a renderer API should have (terrain, roads, vegetation, decals), of course a little limited compared to what is coming with the new LE3 versions (though it's still not near to the features list it had, of course since LE2 was around there for so much time, and not speaking about performance far superior to what I have in 3.0). Also don't confuse my criticism, I'm not against LE or Josh, everyone here (at least the old users) knows that I supported LE as better as I could (and besides the NET wrapper I also developed and released to the community the old LEBuilder that can be considered the precursor of the current Project Manager with almost the same features and more).

The project manager for 2.x was very useful, and that did lead to the design of the built-in project manager in 3.x.

You're comparing the current version to 2.x, but what I remember from those days was everyone complaining that it was only a renderer, not a game engine. It didn't have a Lua debugger, no shader editor, it couldn't reload files while running, and it relied on a lot of command-line tools for file conversion. Building an editor to handle the full range of game development has been a lot more successful than what was basically just a rendering API.

Linux did take an enormous amount of time that could have been spent on other things like implementing OpenGL 4 in OSX. Most of the time spent came down to the user interface, which was difficult to get under control. But that work is done, and doesn't have to be done again. The ongoing cost of supporting that is pretty low, unlike mobile. OSX doesn't need much to get working with OpenGL 4. (The editor uses an abstraction layer for Windows/Linux/Mac, so the editor code itself doesn't have to be written multiple times for each, and development occurs at the same pace.)

The focus on PC (Windows/Linux/Mac) in general and Linux in particular is a result of who bought it; mobile users just weren't that interested overall, not even enough to break even on development costs, but PC and Linux users did want it. I had my own idea about who the customer would be when I released 3.0, but the market has indicated pretty strongly what they want. So now we have the target direction honed down pretty finely, and it's just going to get better and better. There's a fairly specific list of things coming up here.

Yeah I remember those complaints as well, never really interested in those since I was hobbyist at that time and my goal was just to approach to gamedev and C++ (I remember how happy I was when I finished my very first prototype "Archery" for a community contest) smile.png

There's a fairly specific list of things coming up here.

Oh well, I totally missed it, the "The Engine" list is something interesting (above all the first line) and for sure I'll look forward to the new versions as they come.