YouGroove

Nvidia HBAO+ and TXAA

Seems Nvidia working closely with Ubisfot on that game.

If you don't have Nividia 3D car or last Nvidia 3D card series, well ...you can forget these features laugh.png

I always say this kind of graphics is very good for making movies, not for games, ...

For games graphics good as in Duke Nukem 3D is good enough, ...

what matters most for games is only gameplay.

But well there is lot of hard core gamers that always want better graphics as possible, there is demand it seems.

But well there is lot of hard core gamers that always want better graphics as possible, there is demand it seems.

people that want better graphics only think graphics is involved with gameplay.

in other words better == better.

So most people thing if something is very high graphics in their eyes they thing they will get more gameplay as well as there was put allot of money in there, ...

But they always get slapped in the face.

hey I'm hardcore gamer and do you know why I'm here, ...

Cuz I'm sick and tiered pleading for simple stuff to be made to improve gameplay.

When I started programming, making gameplay better it's impossible hard to write 3 more liines.

that much lazy they are.

that's why I'm here today.

and I hope game industry falls sooner so I can get my hands on some good games that needs loads of time developing - I don't mean graphics but actual RPG like morrowind but much better than that one.

I always say this kind of graphics is very good for making movies, not for games, ...

For games graphics good as in Duke Nukem 3D is good enough, ...

what matters most for games is only gameplay.

Why can't we have both gameplay and graphics quality? laugh.png

I am going for that with my game... probably why its taking me ages ..but still..

There been very beautiful games that failed, not because they were beautiful but they were dull. What designers and producers are looking for is a game that is FUN. And to be be fun, that combine a lot of ingredients: (Good gameplay, good picture, good sound, really interesting story, some hypetongue.png , etc.)

was waiting for this game for years for ps3. pc version is coming out soon. graphics are very nice and game is fun wink.png

cant understand why MilitaryG have this AAA allergy. AAA dont means that the game makes no fun and gameplay is bad wink.png and watchdogs makes fun for sure wink.png just take a look into the metal gear series they have AAA+++ and the gameplay is awesome. or take a look into the game "the last of us" one of my favorites. when you have this opinion because of games like the latest call of duty or counderstrike GO well sure its always the same and nothing new because changes in gameplay are not good for classic games.

its like saying every linux user is a nerd and every mac osx user is a hipster.

leadwerks is a 3d engine and those engines try to get good ingame graphics to simulate reality. And I think when I dont could do some AAA with leadwerks I never have bought it.

for me, a good game have to have nice graphics, new ideas in gameplay, a good story. sometimes something more. every game is different but every AAA shooter is the same but its the shooter genre. dont expect too much there.

all in all its the package of everything like Christian Clavet said.

(dont tell me games like terraria or starbound I played them and they just are driven on the hypetrain. the games make fun but I played better games that amused me more)

My last favorites are:

Last of us

Outlast

Natural Selection 2 (omg its an indie game and have good graphics and WTF tongue.png nearly 1000h on steam played biggrin.png over ~2 years)

cant understand why MilitaryG have this AAA allergy. AAA dont means that the game makes no fun and gameplay is bad wink.png and watchdogs makes fun for sure wink.png just take a look into the metal gear series they have AAA+++ and the gameplay is awesome. or take a look into the game "the last of us" one of my favorites. when you have this opinion because of games like the latest call of duty or counderstrike GO well sure its always the same and nothing new because changes in gameplay are not good for classic games.

I kinda agree with you I do have an allergy on AAA

Wellll

actually DooM 1, 2 is just a shooter but much more game play than in any CoD much more fun to play too.

good games:

doom, 1, 2, 3

System shock 2

lemings

Unreal Tournament (99)

Duke Nukem 3D

wolfenstein 3D

return to castle wolfenstein

disciples 1, 2

heroes of might and magic 3, 4

quake 1, 2

blood 1

bad quality games ugh this is allot:

fallout 3

oblivion

skyrim

Heroes of might and magic 5

disciples 3

CoD 1, 2, 3, don't know for later ones, ...

Dungeon keeper 1, 2

Unreal tournament (3,4)

Quake arena and later multilayer quakes

blood 2

bioshock 1, 2

This list goes on and on

Actually it used to be that I was like OMG this has better graphics let me try it out, ... and it used to be that game was really worth wile.

today if I see game with good graphics I just don't try it any more I just turn my back and say bye bye, ... I was trying them too often and it all went to the trash in couple of hours.

this might give you some idea, ... and actually I completely agree with him.

Also I have "developed" a certain understanding why is it like this in modern graphics, ...

it used to be you just throw a lightning or 2 and it was already too much for hardware so spending much more on graphics would make game unplayable, and so if they spend 1M$ on a game not more than 5% were on graphics but everything else.

Today if they spend 1M$ on game 99.99% of it goes to graphics, ...

and usually if they do spend 5M$ on a game it goes 95% to graphics.

So what do we have?

complex graphics == no game play.

for complex graphics you really need to spend allot of time.

for only 1 it would take years.

not to mention that for AAA garbage team it takes a year or more for complex graphics. - no offense to team but to what they are doing together.

As they don't develop game play.

Hi!

fallout 3

oblivion

skyrim

I'm curious, what are the things you don't like in Fallout and Skyrim? (don't remember oblivion). These 2 are in my favorite list.smile.png

bioshock 1, 2

I did not like them either, but only for one reason: the game "context". I was feeling too uncomfortable killing those poor people (all of the them got mad because of a strange illness, and the only way to "stop" them was to kill them)wacko.png. Lots of players liked that game, and got very high popularity. I played Bioshock Infinite and the context was much better for me.

Also I have "developed" a certain understanding why is it like this in modern graphics, ...

it used to be you just throw a lightning or 2 and it was already too much for hardware so spending much more on graphics would make game unplayable, and so if they spend 1M$ on a game not more than 5% were on graphics but everything else.

Today if they spend 1M$ on game 99.99% of it goes to graphics, ...

and usually if they do spend 5M$ on a game it goes 95% to graphics.

Humm.. Not have the same opinion as you on this. Been working in the game industry here in Montreal, and got some friend working, at EA, Ubisoft, Gameloft, etc. Never heard something like this as putting all the effort on graphics like that.

The video that YouGroove showed is a video coming from the Ubisoft R&D team. They are NOT putting that effort for the game (watch dogs) but for theirs games, so their engine. Proof here: Look at "

" game. The look have the same features as watch dogs:

xl_Tom_Clancy_The_division-1.jpg

So there is about 0$ budget for this kind of development for the game itself. They are really put money where they need it. I've heard that for a AAA game (example: Assassin Creed) the budget for the game development is around 33-34 Millions for about 2 years. That does not include advertising or engine licensing. (Unreal engine was costing 1 million US$ on licensing fee and support for a AAA project at the time)

Sometimes the really bad things that can happen is that we see too much of theses AAA games and want to "mimic" them with a really small team. When that happen, most of the time, as you said, they will not have the budget and put most of it on the graphic side... For me, the most successful indie games are the most simple at the same time.

fallout 3

oblivion

skyrim

Seems you don't like open world RPG. Great graphics, lot to discover, hidden wepons/armors/stuff, RPG skills, original quests in Follout 3 etc ... This is traditionnal RPG gameplay with great graphics.

So what do we have?

complex graphics == no game play.

No they have good gameplay. Assassin Creed have great jump/run/climb system and crowd interaction system. The game is just bad story and becoming just copies like they done with Need For Speed.

It can become borring or repetitive for some people without good story.

AC 2 was the best with strong story of family rivality and character traits, involving a lot and armor to unlock completing quests etc ...

Now the others have generic stories , nothing pushing you to finish or continue the game.

Sometimes better graphics / effects are good :

ss1.jpg

Specially for RPG genre game like Dragon Age 3 using FrostByte engine

pre_1396209452__dragon-age-3-wallpaper.jpg

I've heard that for a AAA game (example: Assassin Creed) the budget for the game development is around 33-34 Millions for about 2 years. That does not include advertising or engine licensing. (Unreal engine was costing 1 million US$ on licensing fee and support for a AAA project at the time)

@Christian :

For Assassin Creed EA has it's own engine not UDK

For Assassin Creed EA has it's own engine not UDK

Checked and you are right their engine is not UDK. (But was used previously on some older Splinter Cell games)

You mean Ubisoft? For Assassin Creed they used Anvil - AnvilNext. I suspect that they might still use UDK or something really similar to level design.

With all those big games they release, they will re-use stuff from games to games see there. This is common practice in about every studio. So new tech stuff that has been added into an engine will be also applied into the other one they have.

For Watch dogs, the engine is called Disrupt, From the look of it, for me it look like an improved "fork" of the Dunia engine used in Far Cry II and Far Cry III.

p.s. How do you embed a video?

For videos just click on the link icon and enter the adress of the youtube video.

Bonus : Snowdrop engine last video.

As you can see lot of stuff to make 3D artists almost like playing when creating a level

Node based like thay say to control anything from gameplay, UI ,shaders etc ... Anyone even non programmers can work with the engine and create level, interaction or specific shaders.

Node Visual systems is the future of 3D engines (UE4 already on the track with their BluePrint system).

You can code specific core gameplay and let other non coder people make all other dynamic/interactive stuff/effects using nodes.

I do love open world, but I don't like too much following the arrow thingy, ...

Skyrim is not an RPG but looks like 1.

Fallout 3 is kinda same as Skyrim but is RPG iirc.

Also this 2 don't have hidden weapons/armor.

You get them by lvling, ... not by searching and it's a BIG difference.

in morrowind you have to search to find stuff you want or need.

you have to read and world around you changes upon your actions, and there are multiple actions available not just 2 like in skyrim or 1 in oblivion.

you can kill friendly gods if you desire so.

you can kill your own guild master if you desire so.

but this actions do affect you.

skyrim your actions doesn't affect anything. it's linear story nothing more nothing less and side quests aren't any better.

Only need for speed road challenge is ok others are ****.

assasins cread is ****.

if you like open world and so on and if you are still on windows I strongly suggest you to play morrowind.

You'll see how does the real RPG masterpice look like.

Also there are many shooting games that are "closed rooms" but just look at WolF 3D, DooM1, 2 they are still in "Closed rooms" but it feels like it's in open world. Even if it's not.

There are no cinematics there are no stories about it and many people still play it, because it's fun.

Gamers don't want graphics they only think they want graphics it's more like placebo effect, except on the end of the day it doesn't work.

if you like open world and so on and if you are still on windows I strongly suggest you to play morrowind.

You'll see how does the real RPG masterpice look like.

I could in the past, today, i cannot allow me lossing hours reading virtual books or texts, to find virtuals armors or virtual weapons laugh.png I have more creatived goals, than beeing only RPG consumer only and wasting too much time in them.

So that's why i enjoy "light" RPG as Kyrim and others, you can play smaller session, you don't need to dig too much the game and it's content to progress and have good time.

In some way more casualisation, means people have other things to do that putting all their time playing games laugh.png

Yes Doom is the perfect example of pick and play game, just have fun and enjoy.

It's arcade game not story based, the problem for AAA companies making arcade like Serious Sam won't sell as gameplay will stay basic, they need to appeal with special elements, story : Dishonnored and Bioshock series for example.

You have Far Cry 3, it's as fast to play and enjoy as doom in open world with region missions, you find some core fun experience, but not in closed levels but in outdoor ones.

Some games have done some originality like The Witcher 2 that is a big , great RPG.

You start game directly in the fire of action playing, this s like some interactive intro with playing phases and some dialog phases or camera cinematic moves. Really great, lot better than passive cinematics.

Gamers don't want graphics they only think they want graphics it's more like placebo effect, except on the end of the day it doesn't work.

Don't make your taste, all people taste. There are a lot buying last 3D cards , why so big demand ?

Same for mobiles, a lot buy Tegra quad GPU , why such demands ?

Yes graphics will always sell.

Even for AC 4 from Ubisoft s a great exemple :

maxresdefault.jpg

assassin-s-creed-iv-black-flag-playstation-4-ps4-1375366129-081.jpg

It's exploration, treasure hunt, shark hunting , combat and armore/weapon upgrade , ship vessel combat and ship upgrade upgrade etc ... Yes it has lot of stuff to do and pleasure of playing in open world with some ocean/islands map.

Sounds , dialogs and music are AAA, rain effects shaders and global lightening are big studios work.

Yes it's graphics make it shine and anyone will like that and will want better effects and graphics.

( you won't sell some next episode if it's graphics and effects are not as good as previous )