[Community Project] FPS Game, Josh Likes This Idea!

Papa Beans

Hey guys!

It's me Cody here. I have been messing around a lot with Leadwerks 3, mostly programming. I want to start a small game project, and get a feel of what it's like collaberating with other people with the same interests. As much as I hate to say it, I know what type of game I would like to make. The only reason I want to make this type of game is because it is quite simple, a FPS. I think that this would be the easiest one to make because it has no story, lots of re-used props, etc.

Right now I'm thinking that this will be a community project, if you would like to participate and help, then it would be very much so appreciated! If anywhere down the road a team develops and we decide to change that, then this post will be updated. Right now these are the positions I'm looking for:

• 3D Modeler(s)
  • Concept Artist (?)
  • Anyone with experience in animation in LE3
  • Level Designer
  • 2D Artist (Splashes, scopes, etc.)

Now onto more of the game aspects. Anything with a (?) next to it is subject to change.

As of right now we need these assets:

- A male army character (doesnt need to be rigged or textured)

- A female army character (doesnt need to be rigged or textured)

- A fighter jet

- Some Guns

I would like for this to be more of a COD and Battle Field mix. I think it would be nice to have some more open world levels, and some closer combat levels... that way it appeals to both sides of the spectrum. This game will be modern, not futuristic, not past.

Classes

Medic:

This classes main role will be to assist the other players. You will start out with a basic health pack that you can heal other players with. You will be carrying mostly (?) SMG's so that you can be more mobile. But how good is an army if they are all bleeding to death?

• Gunner:

The gunners role is to shoot 'em all down. You will be carrying mostly Heavy Machine Guns and some (?) Light Machine Guns. Lock n' Load.

• CCQ:

The name escapes me right now, but this will be your standard soldier who carries Assault Rifles, SMG's, and LMG's (Light machine guns). You will be the guy who rushes in, and takes out the enemy without fear.

• Sniper:

Your standard sniper class. You get to be the guy who sits back, and blows some heads off! You start with a low damage sniper rifle. Anti "Quick Scoping" is a main thing I want to cover, this should be more realistic.

• Engineer:

Your job is to repair the vehicles used in bigger maps. From planes to helicopters to humvee's its all you.

The goal of this game is... wait. It's an FPS, there is no goal! This game will be multiplayer only (?). You unlock better weapons by buying them with in game currency. You collect this currency by how good you do in your matches.

If there is anything that you have questions on please ask! Just in case you missed it at the top, Anything with a (?) next to it is subject to change. Thank you for your time reading this, the application process is below.

First Name:

Position Applying for:

Long Term Or Short Term Help?:

How much Time Do you Have?:

Skype Name: [PM if not comfortable sharing]

Email: [PM if not comfortable sharing]

For one time helpers please PM me! You will be included in the credits / thanks.

Edited for McBerto.

• Upvote 1

Some questions about your project:

Is it lua based or c++?

Single player or multiplayer?

Will level design be done in Leadwerks using prefabs and csf/brushes, or will it need to be done in a 3d modeler?

You say it's modern but not futuristic, will it be real life gritty, or real life cartoony like team fortress 2.

Is there a time of completion goal date?

I have more questions but i can't think of the rest of them currently.

• Upvote 1

Some questions about your project:

Is it lua based or c++?

Single player or multiplayer?

Will level design be done in Leadwerks using prefabs and csf/brushes, or will it need to be done in a 3d modeler?

You say it's modern but not futuristic, will it be real life gritty, or real life cartoony like team fortress 2.

Is there a time of completion goal date?

I have more questions but i can't think of the rest of them currently.

Right now it's lua based.

Multiplayer

Will be done in leadwerks to get proportions correct.

Its real life, not cartoony.

And no completion time.

Thank you for questions, keep em coming!

I've done multiplayer in LE via Lua but I used RakNet instead of enet. Papa, you may want to rethink making it multiplayer (although I know that's what it's all around) because getting multiplayer working is no small feat especially if you have little any experience in it.

Multiplayer on lua, you'll be forging new ground for Leadwerks. I can point you in the general direction of how to get the libraries loaded but not much else. http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/blog/120/entry-1182-luajit-awesome-luajit-enet-loaded/

I'll be revisiting the topic of multiplayer when my game nears functional stability.

Thank you for that, I will look into it.

I've done multiplayer in LE via Lua but I used RakNet instead of enet. Papa, you may want to rethink making it multiplayer (although I know that's what it's all around) because getting multiplayer working is no small feat especially if you have little any experience in it.

I've been looking into RakNet lately, doesn't look like an easy feat. I am hoping to learn a lot from this, and that others can learn a lot from it also. I am glad to know that someone has gotten it working (although you have many years experience). If it proves too difficult ill pay for the C++ version, but I'm not a rich kiddo. Coming from you saying that it's difficult I will rethink it, thank you.

EDIT:: Isn't RakNet only C++ compatible?

It's not really the network library that is hard. It's the hoops you have to jump through to get networking to be decent. There are so many tricks that you have to do to make it playable.

RakNet is C++. I created a C++ DLL that exposed RakNet to Lua about a year ago. It was a learning curve but you can do it.

• Upvote 1

I've been looking into RakNet lately, doesn't look like an easy feat. I am hoping to learn a lot from this, and that others can learn a lot from it also. I am glad to know that someone has gotten it working (although you have many years experience). If it proves too difficult ill pay for the C++ version, but I'm not a rich kiddo. Coming from you saying that it's difficult I will rethink it, thank you.

This should help you out if you're planning on using RakNet: http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/Leadwerks_2_tutorials/_/programming/raknet-in-leadwerks-tutorial-r80

It was posted in the LE2 tutorials but it works perfectly fine in 3.0 and above. I'd recommend bookmarking it just in case.

• Upvote 1

Using Leadwerks Professional Edition (Beta), mainly using C++.

Windows 10 / Linux Mint, Visual Studio 2017. GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX970, CPU: Intel i7 7700K @ 4.20 GHz

Previously known as Evayr.

This should help you out if you're planning on using RakNet: http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/Leadwerks_2_tutorials/_/programming/raknet-in-leadwerks-tutorial-r80

It was posted in the LE2 tutorials but it works perfectly fine in 3.0 and above. I'd recommend bookmarking it just in case.

I found that also! I didn't know that it still worked though, thanks.

Might be best to show your work on github or bitbucket to allow others to see what it's all about and participate if they want. You could make task lists of what's needed and people could help where they can. Like I could add the RakNet stuff if you did this.