OpenGL 4.5 Discussion

DerRidda

So, I'm not that well versed in matters of graphics APIs but I'm still interested to in it and what OpenGL 4.5 and all extensions that have made up all versions >4.0 could mean for Leadwerks.

I think 4.0 is a fine version to target and already a ballsy enough goal seeing how many people are stuck with 3.x or are simply unaware of what OpenGL their card+driver combo supports (which isn't all that surprising seeing how OpenGL information is basically nonexistent on marketing material these days).

Would support for OpenGL 4.5 (not as a baseline but rather a "cherry on top") be worthwhile for Leadwerks? Maybe not in regards to actually having a great deal of new features but in utilizing the efforts of having reduced driver overhead and giving the player better performance in return if a supported configuration is detected? "You have an awesome GPU! Here, have better performance and maybe trade it in for running the game with higher graphical settings."

I'm genuinely interested, seeing how 4.5 could quite possibly be the last version of "classic" OpenGL because of OpenGL next, but I'm not well versed enough in the matter to lead this discussion.

I am sure that Josh is more than well aware of the capabilities of OpenGL 4.5 and that he would love to see the oppurtunities integrated in Leadwerks. The problem is it would take some time to make sure the engine utilizes that power. Since most people wouldn't even notice the difference it makes it not a high priority task.