How to import models with multiple textures?

Alessandro

Hello,

I'm working again with LE after some time.

Please consider I'm a programmer, so I'm so very expert in 3D modeling!

I'm making some tests, so I made a simple cube in AC3D. Now I applied a texture (in AC3D) and exported as *.obj.

I used DDS texture (so no conversion is needed).

My problem is how to apply a second texture for normal mapping. I know I can use Map Editor, bu the problem is, in that case, I cannot set tiling. In fact, in my final test, my cue is mapped using a repeated texture (tile). I made the tiling usng AC3D, but I cannot understand how to do the same for the second texture.

Can you help me to better understand the final workflow?

And... how can I apply tiling to a texture used in material editor?

Have you any suggestion / workflow how to proceed (please give me hints, since I'm not so expert!)?

Thank you for your help!

As far as I understand it the normal map texture should be applied to the same UV coordinates that the diffuse texture is mapped to, so should follow the tiling exactly if the original texture is tiled. This is done automatically by the engine.

All you should need to do is create a mat file using the same name as the diffuse texture in your model and specify the diffuse in texture0 slot and the normal map in texure1 slot.

So if your diffuse texture was diffuseTex.dds then name the mat file diffuseTex.mat and specify the normal map as the second texture (doesn't matter really what you name the normal texture ... dot3 is just convention):

texture0="abstract::diffuseTex.dds"
texture1="abstract::diffuseTexdot3.dds"

shader="abstract::mesh_diffuse_bumpmap.vert","abstract::mesh_diffuse_bumpmap.frag"

Just for information, if your model had two diffuse textures applied then you would create two mat files, one for each diffuse texture. Every diffuse texture used in a model must have an associated mat file.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++