Geometry snap

blueapples

Snap mode where geometry from a model being moved will snap to other nearby geometry exactly.

Context:

I am working with a modular set of cave interior geometry from Dexsoft's membership package. Pretty good, if a bit basic models.

However it is very hard to get them perfectly lined up since they are not sized correctly to use the grid snap. This feature would help with this immensely.

• Upvote 3

Well if artists modelled their geometry along an actual scale instead of making everything with no regard to how it will be used, then this wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately, that never seems to happen.

Even if I add this, you will still have vertices poking out in odd places that mess up the alignment and cause gaps to appear in the map.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Here's an example from the map I'm working on.

post-17500-0-41440100-1469212084_thumb.png

I might actually be able to play with the scale of the pieces to get them to play well with the grid snap (they look really close to the drawn grid at least), but this is really tricky when using multiple kits together because it dictates what the scale has to be for each kit based on it's original model size. This is a bigger problem though.

In this case, the kit is really clean and vertices all seem to match well on each joined piece. From what I have seen I seriously doubt it's even possible to make better matching pieces, and if so, that type of art just isn't available publicly. In spite of that it's still seems to be impossible to manually position them perfectly. It was so frustrating it took me out of my flow last night and I'm pretty discouraged right now to be honest. Hence the idea. If it's not possible, that's fine, I'll have to try to clean up my assets more I guess. Using pre-made assets is a critical part of this project so I have to figure out how to make this kind of thing easier on myself or I'm not going to finish this game.

Isn't it quite common to make modular pieces just in order to be able to snap them together. Such as wall parts for dungeons. No offense Josh but I don't buy that argument

What I mean is the edges of objects should line up to power-of-two units, like my fence model pack does. Level design is so much fun when you have properly sized props because everything just pops right into place with no adjusting needed.

Of all the "modular" model packs I've seen, I've never seen one that wasn't randomly scaled with inaccurate vertices that needed a ton of cleanup work, regardless of the grid units it was designed with.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

We will probably get some feature to solve this problem in the future. I'm just saying if I could take control of the art production that would be a better way of doing it but that's not going to happen anytime soon. Contracting things out remotely is almost impossible.

A fix that only applied to Workshop items would be painfully incomplete for me.

Why would it only apply to Workshop items?

I meant I would love it if we could produce all out own art content for you to use, but that is not realistic at the moment.

Ah, I see. Sorry about that. It would be indeed challenging to approach the level of content available through the third party sites. Maybe if Dexsoft wanted to do a deal where their entire membership content library was converted, then it'd be more realistic, but that seems like the amount of content that would be needed. That would be awesome.

Ah, I see. Sorry about that. It would be indeed challenging to approach the level of content available through the third party sites. Maybe if Dexsoft wanted to do a deal where their entire membership content library was converted, then it'd be more realistic, but that seems like the amount of content that would be needed. That would be awesome.

In time, we will have an enormous library of our own content, and third party developers will conform to my specifications to make their artwork more useful for you:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/tutorials/_/workshop-r11#section6

• Upvote 1

lol

I'm going to start going to game dev meetups and stuff around here to find an artist. I can't deal with artists over email anymore. It just doesn't work unless I can explain things to them in person.

Once school is back in session, we may get a couple of Chris version 2.0's from University of Texas.

• Upvote 1