OpenAL and EFX

Nakotuhin

Go to solution Solved by Josh,

I've been recently invited into a small team that is currently working on a game using Leadwerks engine, to design sounds and write music. As I understand, Leadwerks uses OpenAL library for audio output. So as a sound engineer I've got a couple of questions about it's use in Leadwerks.

1. How many audio channels are currently supported? (as in the amount of sounds playing simultaneously) Is it possible to change the number of channels in Lua, without diving into C++?
  2. OpenAL has an EFX extension that allows users to create various effects such as air absorption, reverberation, distortion etc. Right now we only need reverb. Is it possible to use such effects in the current version of Leadwerks (4.6) using Lua scripts? Our team currently uses non-professional edition and thus has no access to C++. If not, are there any plans to expose OpenAL EFX to Lua in the future? Perhaps the same way Unreal Engine has customizable reverb volumes where every sound that is played inside of it gets reverb applied to it.

Thank you!

• Solution

The engine supports 29 channels. These are managed automatically, so if a sound is out of range or stopped that channel will be freed up for other sounds to be played. In practical terms, you won't run out of or have to worry about channels.

EFX is not currently supported. It could probably be done with C++ but it would not be simple.

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.