My latest work (scifi textures 2.0) - scifi materials

TWahl

Okay, so you're good at packing a lot of detail into a texture, but what about building that out into a full level?  I am curious to see what you come up with there.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

20 minutes ago, Josh said:

Okay, so you're good at packing a lot of detail into a texture, but what about building that out into a full level?  I am curious to see what you come up with there.

I have some ideas in mind.

Clever slicing and application of materials onto complex objects is one of them, without making it looked "hacked".

Some other modular workflows utilize this, like this tutorial http://www.thiagoklafke.com/modularenvironments.html

I will also be creating a few atlas textures.

There are also lots of "thin" trim and detail textures that I have which I will be using.

This will work best if you use CSG wherever you can, IMO.  You don't want to make a bunch of flat squares when the user could just make a CSG box and have more flexibility.  If you just model hallway sections it becomes extremely limiting.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

About 95% done with phase one of this project, just a little more 3d modeling and baking, etc on around 10-12 more textures and then I will move on to the painting process.

Current content numbers:

32 trim textures

57 wall textures (plus variants)

56 floor textures (plus variants)

8 detail textures (for pipes and more specific uses)

There will also be a small selection of "circular" textures that I will be creating specifically for cylindrical details like caps and such. I have not figured these out yet but I will probably hold off on them until later.

This has been so far a huge undertaking!

Stay tuned.

• Upvote 3

The beginnings of roughing out an initial concept, this is very work in progress. Need to establish a good preliminary look on one, which I will use to replicate on the rest of the textures in an assembly-line fashion.

Capture.PNG

The most time consuming part of the process is painting in the major scratches, which are done with a modified chalk brush and a tablet.

Those whitish squares are supposed to be lights and will have emissive maps.

wip20.png

Added some paint.

Overall I am digging the military look, of course I can alter the coloring drastically for a more warm or cooler feel, or leave the paint out altogether for a purely metallic surface. The pack will ship with each texture diffuse map coming in different colors so you can choose, or if you purchase the platinum edition you can modify the PSD files to your liking.

This was whipped up rather fast and I am not entirely happy with the chipping effect, but my goal for today was to establish a good, basic feel for what I am trying to go after. Of course once I have more textures done I will make some test scenes in leadwerks to see how they look in various lighting conditions.

That will be all for today, will experiment more tomorrow.

wip21.png

• Upvote 1

On 7/24/2017 at 9:24 PM, Josh said:

You might look into a program called NDO Painter to do this faster.

http://quixel.se/tutorial/ndo-painter-advanced-detailing/

Yes I have definitely taken a gander at the quixel suite more than a few times, might give in and purchase it just to speed things up and get things done quicker. I could be able to get some pbr compatibility in there as well.

I already have all of the normals and occlusion info done for nearly all the textures I have made though

Nearly done with finalizing the "concept texture", just need to sort out some tiling issues with a few layer masks (as you may be able to notice roughly in the middle of the sphere where the textures butt up against one another). Nothing too hard to fix.

Then I can start cranking out the good stuff.

All the paint and scratches, etc. will be incorporated into the normal maps to help them "pop" more and be more realistic. The raw normal maps will be included in all versions of the pack as well if you choose to use them instead for editing or aesthetic purposes.

wip22.png

• Upvote 2

Your details look smudgy and blurry.  The full-size image looks like a low-resolution texture.  I just ran an unsharp mask on the right side of this image, and look how much better it looks.

wip21.png.1dfbf14305f028cf368e1441caa0fed1.png.8e9705d7235c20770a97f06dd822995b.png

If there was paint peeling off, it would affect the surface normal.

I'm not in love with the color scheme.  It doesn't look like a good palette has been worked out.

If those white rectangles are lights, they should be in an emission channel.

What is the logic of having a panel with construction stripes?  I understand the theme, but that serves no purpose.  It isn't a walkway or a loading dock, it is just a random panel with stripes for no apparent reason.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Josh said:

Your details look smudgy and blurry.  The full-size image looks like a low-resolution texture.  I just ran an unsharp mask on the right side of this image, and look how much better it looks.

wip21.png.1dfbf14305f028cf368e1441caa0fed1.png.8e9705d7235c20770a97f06dd822995b.png

If there was paint peeling off, it would affect the surface normal.

I'm not in love with the color scheme.  It doesn't look like a good palette has been worked out.

If those white rectangles are lights, they should be in an emission channel.

What is the logic of having a panel with construction stripes?  I understand the theme, but that serves no purpose.  It isn't a walkway or a loading dock, it is just a random panel with stripes for no apparent reason.

Crazybump does not support emission channels, that's why you don't see the lighting on the last screenshot

Also, yes, I too started noticing the smudgy details you mentioned, it might have to do with some of my brush settings that I am using, or something else... Unsharp mask would be a good option.

Also the caution stripes I just added for fun, wasn't really much of a reason just wanted to see what they would look like and they will probably go away. Its funny you mention the green color scheme kinda sucks lol I woke up the morning after I made that one texture and thought to myself "what was I smoking" when picking those colors (was up really late). I am still working on the pallette as I speak.

And in regards to surface normals I will be taking those secondary details into account as I mentioned.

Thanks for the feedback though josh :)

I should make an account on the Polycount forums as well and get some critiques over there.

33 minutes ago, Josh said:

The polycount people will give you really good feedback.

Yeah there are some very talented people on there. I have frequented there forums for a very long time now its about time I make some posts there.

Getting back on it, some more tweaks, tested out some of the secondary details (merged normal maps generated for scratches and paint, etc using crazybump, result was okay not 100% great but was just a test to see what would happen).

wip23.png

wip24.png

wip25.png

• Upvote 2

• Josh featured and unfeatured this topic