TWahl

My latest work (scifi textures 2.0) - scifi materials

47 minutes ago, Josh said:

It looks very good but there isn't much variation in color or other properties. It looks like just a really nice normal map with a plain metal texture on top. IMO the little details should be gold or silver, and there should be more variation.

I have not started the painting process yet at the moment - that will come later (I promise). I have compiled a massive amount of reference materials to help aid me when I get to that step.

The 3D modeling and highpoly baking part is probably going to be one of the biggest and most tiring obstacles I have to get through right now, so I am trying to power through that while I have the time. It is a long process and requires a lot of finesse, and at times a lot of headaches when things don't go the way you want to.

Right now I am just trying to showcase some 2D baked lighting that can be generated from the maps I baked in Xnormal - I just overlayed a simple metal texture to give some idea of how some metallic surface lighting might look with general lighting conditions in a game engine (without having to put it in one).

Making good progress, most of the floor textures that I originally created have been remodeled in fusion and had their 3d geometries baked. Some wall textures I have rebaked as well. For context there are 55 or so floor textures, I have so far re-done around 90 percent of those, maybe 15-20 percent of the wall textures. The speed at which I get through each depends on the complexity of each image and how much detail is involved. Some only take me one hour, some take me 4 hours to do - I try to do at least one per day and on weekends when I have free time I try to get at least 7-10 of them done.

Today I screwed around with my old scene and made some newer, better screenshots. I figured you guys would like to look at this stuff rather than what I usually post. It is a combination of some older materials I have made and some new ones. I wanted to take a break from what I usually work on anyway and it was a nice way to get some general concept of an overall look that I want to acquire for the final product I intend on creating.

Once I have a larger library of assets I will work on creating a brand new scene to showcase my work. Also, I decided to stick with a 2k texture size instead of 4k due to some diminishing returns in quality. The floor texture in this scene is 2048, while the rest are 1024.

screenshot15.thumb.jpg.3548db6412452dbcf19602b5e1398559.jpgscreenshot16.thumb.jpg.df90fb5a2977b62f85cd1e8e7139e119.jpgscreenshot17.thumb.jpg.9523a0f0c96297079467a6a7e7f09207.jpgscreenshot18.thumb.jpg.029dcec927dfdd230db7406a62ebfb40.jpgscreenshot19.thumb.jpg.9076a3cf8b0002af1a04dbb140e44f2f.jpg

Thanks again.

• Like 2

If anyone is interested I might upload some of my old materials to the steam workshop individually for a small price - the money I would get would go towards supporting this project. I will try to figure this out in the coming weeks if I have any time for that.

Some more examples which will eventually get painted

Wall_3A_AO.thumb.JPG.d049c5e71fc3176f3df0ebb108eb0b63.JPG

Wall_3B_AO.thumb.JPG.01243406183b3eb6bbf3b58b999f3b27.JPG

• Like 1

am sure some people would love to get your stuff and they looking good as well

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, carlb said:

am sure some people would love to get your stuff and they looking good as well

Thanks!

I will probably put my older texture maps up for between 3 to 6 dollars a piece depending on their size. I think there are around 30 of them if I remember, most of them I made somewhere around 8 years ago.