what do you want see in leadwerks 3.0

dreamhead

I personally have never had the tab crash that you always claimed to happen either... but its strange that you are suggesting that Josh just use some standard IDE now when it wasn't that long ago you had started a post stating that he should create a LE IDE for all languages... or at least just the languages that only you use.

If you'll recall I suggested he use VS to create a VS like IDE for Leadwerks. VS gives you its base template interface and allow you to modify it for your own needs, so he'd still be using a tried and tested program. Here is an example someone doing that http://addonstudio.codeplex.com/. Here is what VS gives you to allow you to do just that http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/vextend.aspx. My suggestion is that he doesn't create it from scratch because he couldn't possibly make it as feature rich and stable as some of the existing IDE's that allow you to modify them. That's not a knock on Josh it's just a matter of the amount of time it would take to provide all these features it would be realistic for him to put that kind of time into those.

Thanks for bringing that up though, because he could use that now. That would work great for a GUI system in LE 3. He could get interprocess communication going on with that and his scene editor to solve the issue of having to know when a script file was changed and to reload it.

I'll try not to make my wild claims about the tab crash in the current editor.

This could really help scripting with the editor. You would just need a way to reload the script when it's modified from VS. The filewatcher class could probably do that for you to tell when it's been changed.

That's already done. There'll just be a standalone script editor, or you can use Notepad or whatever. It's nice because the script editor is running in a separate process, so it stays fast and responsive.

I'm already using Scintilla.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

There'll just be a standalone script editor, or you can use Notepad or whatever. It's nice because the script editor is running in a separate process, so it stays fast and responsive.

Just a standalone script editor? Does that mean no game scripts ran inside the editor?

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

From your perspective, it will be the same as it is now, the editor will just detect changes.

There won't be a live constantly running Lua state. Instead, the properties for an entity class will be mostly built-in, and the Lua properties you define will be loaded when switch to game mode.

Cool. Does it have intellisense?

I think Scintilla does have this capability, I just haven't tried it yet.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

There won't be a live constantly running Lua state.

So you can't have a situation like the fire pit today where it's moving in editor mode? I think for some things it's nice to have the real-time feedback without having to press any sort of play button. The fire pit is a good example of that. Being able to tweak things like that in real-time is handy (as long as when errors happen in the script it doesn't bring up a messagebox or cause the editor to crash). Obviously things like AI and such you wouldn't want done in editor mode. So you don't think you can have both and let us choose if a should run in edit mode as well as game mode? That seems like that would be the ideal situation. Not sure how complex that would be to implement.

With the firepit you would have an emitter, a light, and a physics body you attach to the mesh via the 3D interface, and then save as a prefab, so it would appear in the editor the same. The only difference would be the light brightness modulation, but maybe I will build some different light flicker modes into the engine and make it a light setting.

That's already done. There'll just be a standalone script editor, or you can use Notepad or whatever. It's nice because the script editor is running in a separate process, so it stays fast and responsive.

Wow! I'm very happy to read this!

When will be available this great new feature?

INTELLISENSE: Yes, Scintilla can manage code hints, and you can decide if let them appear automatically or when the user press keys (like CTRL-SPACE).

Sorry Josh, talking about CTRL-key (offtopic - but it could be fixed in the next version :-) ): in my computer CTRL-key is used for other actvities, so I cannot use it in LE World Editor to make slow camera movements. Please can you implement a way to let the user customize these special keys? So I could use WIN-key (the one with the flag), or ALT key, or even a combination (e.g. SHIFT->faster movements , CTRL+SHIFT->slower movements).

In our computers there are several programs (in background) to implement other features in the O.S, so may happen those keys could be already in use.

THank you.

What I would like to see is a switch to run in dedicated server mode, not requiring a graphics card but still doing physics. I know there has been talk about this but will it still make LE3?

Josh confirmed it'll be added for LE3 if I remember correctly.

The dedicated server renderer is very simple to add, the way LE3 is structured. I basically just have to declare a lot of classes and functions that don't do anything, and it just plugs into the engine the same way the OpenGL renderer does.

I like feature requests, because it is easiest if I account for everything I plan on supporting from the very beginning. It's much harder if I try to add features later that require major design changes.

How about the decision/conversation tree like thing within teh editor. So that it is very natural (and simple) to make decision trees sort of like the ones in Mass Effect only we can style them to look anyway we like? Can you embed that functionalatiy into the node graphs =)

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

How about the decision/conversation tree like thing within teh editor. So that it is very natural (and simple) to make decision trees sort of like the ones in Mass Effect only we can style them to look anyway we like? Can you embed that functionalatiy into the node graphs =)

A tree generator is the only thing I'd use Lua for, if I had a decent algorithm. It would be great to just drop a tree model in the scene, and have it create a random tree instantly. :)

I would just prefer a fully programmable engine with all core features a game needs. I don't mind if I have to make additional features myself using the core features, but I want that the engine makes it possible.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

and maybe that speedtree can be plugin for leadwerks?for a good price of course :)

the real world is in my head

CPU-Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

CPU Speed 2.40 GHz

RAM 3.5 GB

OS Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Build Service Pack 32600)

Video Card GeForce 8800 GT

Video Card Features-

*Video RAM 512.0 MB

Video RAM 256 MB 512.0 MB

Hardware T&L Yes

Pixel Shader version 3.0

Vertex Shader version 3.0

using:leadwerks2.3,2

[ dreamhead.png

and maybe that speedtree can be plugin for leadwerks?for a good price of course :)

And your idea of a "good price" is?

http://www.speedtree.com/sales/#sdk

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

And your idea of a "good price" is?

http://www.speedtree.com/sales/#sdk

500 a 600 euro

the real world is in my head

CPU-Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

CPU Speed 2.40 GHz

RAM 3.5 GB

OS Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Build Service Pack 32600)

Video Card GeForce 8800 GT

Video Card Features-

*Video RAM 512.0 MB

Video RAM 256 MB 512.0 MB

Hardware T&L Yes

Pixel Shader version 3.0

Vertex Shader version 3.0

using:leadwerks2.3,2

[ dreamhead.png

500 a 600 euro

I see, so less than 9% of what they charge for a one time fee per title?

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Why would you want SpeedTree? Our vegetation system can render much larger amounts of foliage than that.

A tree generator is the only thing I'd use Lua for, if I had a decent algorithm. It would be great to just drop a tree model in the scene, and have it create a random tree instantly.

I talked to SpeedTree employees about this, and it is definitely not the angle they want to take. They want to sell the vegetation rendering code, not a tree modeling program. Because the modeling program can export .fbx, you can just register for the evaluation version and use that to make trees. No idea what the licensing terms on that would be.